New LED lights. Acclimation and Light Cycle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JuanArti

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm running some old worn down Metal Hallides my friend gave me when I bought my tank. Today I upgraded to some SolarFlare Dx. How do I adapt my fish to these and how long should I leave them on?

Try a few hours at a time per day if you are worried about acclimation. Most likely, it won't make much difference if this system is FO. The fish will adapt rather quickly.

How many hours a day should I have them on for?

It doesn't really matter. Generally for a FO system, have them on for the hours you want to view the tank.

The longer they are on, the greater the chance of growing algae, so minimal is best.

What if I want to start adding corals? And I have an BTA with my clown..

JuanArti said:
What if I want to start adding corals? And I have an BTA with my clown..

Corals need to be acclimated to light. You would start them low in the tank and slowly move them up. As far as the difference in lighting between the MH and the LEDs, the BTA will love you. Lol

Alright how long do they take to acclimate usually? Also when they're acclimated how long should I leave my lights on for?

JuanArti said:
Alright how long do they take to acclimate usually? Also when they're acclimated how long should I leave my lights on for?

Time depends on that coral. Light schedules em range from 8-12 hours. I prefer 9. More light also means more chances of algae growth.

I have LEDs with the blue night lights. How do I integrate them into the cycle?

I use leds as well. Here is my schedule:

Moonlights - just leave em on out of convenience.

Blues: on at 12 off at 9
Whites: on at 12:30 off at 8:30

My lights must be different lmao the daylight mode uses all the lights and the nightmode is all blue. I need to switch them on and off

Blue and white should be run together. I just start them 30 minutes prior for sunrise/set simulation. I have additional moonlighting strips that are on all the time.

Back
Top Bottom