New Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to upgrade my lights..Since I have the porites already and I want to get a T. crocea clam.

I currently have 72W of 10000K & 72W of Actinic.

I was thinking of ditching the hood and going with this:

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?products_id=311

Finnex HQI + PC - 19" - 150w HQI + 2 x 18w Actinic PC

It has three options for the HQI bulb.

1. 10000K DE
2. Phoenix 14K HQI (Blue) DE
3. Aqua Medic 20000K

Now..I will be loosing 36w of Actinic lighting.

So which Bulb should I go with?

Or do you know of a better setup for a 29Gal BioCube?

Also...I know It's going to be an open top at this point...but I have noticed you guys mentioning "eggcrate"? to cover tanktops to keep stuff from jumping out..I want to be sure nothing gets put in..(Kids visiting office and dropping suff in).

What is eggcrate?

I've heard that Pheonix 14k are good quality bulbs.

How long is the tank?

You should take a look at Aquactinics's T-5 systems. From what I've heard they make the best t-5 systems.

For 24'', 36'', and 48'', they make a 5 tube T-5 HO with SLR's. It has two powercords for dawn/dusk setting. These are more intense than what your looking at.

I'm gonna get that for my next tank.

It`s that light diffuser that you see on flourecent lighting in offices. I`ll see if I can find a pic.

My tank is only 19.75 " wide... A 24" will be too big.

What about the 20000K bulb? Is that better than the 14K?

Will I be loosing much in the way of color if I go with the 14K HQI (Blue) since I'm loosing 36w of Actinic vs. my current lighting?

Melosu58-- I got ya....Where can I pick that up?

20K (slower coral growth) is very blue and you don't need any actinics
10K (faster coral growth) is somewhat yellow and looks much better with heavy actinic supplementation.
14K (moderate coral growth) is what I use. Not too blue and actinics are optional.

So the 150W Phoenix 14K HQI (Blue) DE with 2 PC 18W Actinics seems to be the way to go...

This will allow me to keep some sps and clams and the colors should still pop?

OR, Maybe 20000K HQI with (2) PC 18W 10000K (If they even make that bulb)

I'm just looking for the best amount of light to keep the corals, and have good color.

If you want the BEST AMOUNT of light, go with the 10K with lots of actinic. The lower the K rating, the more PAR (brightness). 20K bulbs are quite lower in PAR. I personally like the happy medium...14K with some actinic. You get good PAR and good color.

I agree...I like the looks of 14K with some actinics. If you are going with a MH fixture only then a 20K will be the most visually appealing.

I just thought of something. Is upgrading my lighting going to hurt my anemone? It was bleached when I got it. I think it's just starting to get some color back...looks like it's going to be a rose BTA.

If I jump my lights from 72w 10000k PC & 72w Actinic PC

to 150w 14000K HQI & 72w Actinic PC

is that going to re-bleach the anemone? Or hurt anything else in the tank?

OK..Got the new fixture today..All set up and running.

Went from:

72W of 10000K & 72W of Actinic

Now have:

150W HQI 14000K

36W PC Actinic (Which I am upgrading to 108W PC Actinic)

I placed a piece of eggcrate on the top, and placed 5 layers of fiberglass screen to start the photo aclimation process..

My problem is this...Now the tank is so dark that the corals wont open up fully. Should I start with 4 or 3 sheets instaed of 5?

HQI bulbs will generally last 12-14months depending on the amount of time they run per day.

So you use them till they burn out...unlike PC bulbs that the spectrum shifts after six months? Thats cool, since they cost so much more.

No, you replace them at the one year mark. They should still have plenty of life left in the bulb, but the spectrum will shift after a year. T5 are supposed to have an 18 month useful life.

I went with 3 sheets and almost everything opened up. So now I have it down to 2 sheets and everyone looks happy now. I guess I'll leave the 2 sheets for 2 weeks each, so they have more time to acclimate to the new light?

Back
Top Bottom