New live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ajm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 20 gallon tank and am looking to upgrade to a 55 or 60 in the very near future. I know I'll need like 30 more lbs of LR if not more. I don't want hitchhikers or anything; is there a dip or something that would prevent this as well as "disinfect"?

That kind of ruins the reason you use "live" rock. Sterilizing it isn't a good idea as the organisms that die will still be buried in the rock and that will pollute the water. You can rinse them off in clean saltwater, inspect them for obvious freeloaders and then go for it.

Gregcoyote said:
That kind of ruins the reason you use "live" rock. Sterilizing it isn't a good idea as the organisms that die will still be buried in the rock and that will pollute the water. You can rinse them off in clean saltwater, inspect them for obvious freeloaders and then go for it.

Ya that's what I figured I was just wondering if there was some kind of technique. Thank you!

Just use dry rock and it will become live in time. No nasties and your good.

If you're going to kill what's on live rock, I'd go with base rock. Base rock will become live rock in a short amount of time and has no hitchikers.
We've had great base rock from reefcleaners.org. $95 for 50 pounds and it's very porus so gives a good surface area for your beneficial bacteria. Also, you can tell them what size tank it's for and request rock shapes that you'd prefer so you'll get what you like that will fit well for your aquarium in the comments section of the order form.

Here's a picture of our 45 gallon with the base rock that we had orderd from them. We had just upgraded our 10 gal. into the 45 gallon, so the live rock in the picture is from the 10 gallon.

Sorry, I'm not sure what happened to the picture that I uploaded.

Attachments

• 45 gallon full shot.jpg
    45 gallon full shot.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 239
themartins said:
If you're going to kill what's on live rock, I'd go with base rock. Base rock will become live rock in a short amount of time and has no hitchikers.
We've had great base rock from reefcleaners.org. $95 for 50 pounds and it's very porus so gives a good surface area for your beneficial bacteria. Also, you can tell them what size tank it's for and request rock shapes that you'd prefer so you'll get what you like that will fit well for your aquarium in the comments section of the order form.

Here's a picture of our 45 gallon with the base rock that we had orderd from them. We had just upgraded our 10 gal. into the 45 gallon, so the live rock in the picture is from the 10 gallon.

Okay ya I was looking into base rock too. Thank you I'll check it out

Back
Top Bottom