New Metal Halide Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a 250 watt metal halide retro-fit from a fellow member and I was wondering how I should mount it. Right now I have a 2x96 watt pc fixture which i will keep in there if possible. The bulb that I am getting with it is a 20k coralife. The pc bulbs I have are 1 10k and 1 actinic. I am going to build another hood so that my bulbs will be higher off of the water so I do not have so much heat.

Next, I need to build a new hood. I am trying to find the best canopy setup for a halide. I want to place the halide in the middle of the tank so I get the most coverage. The best looking canopy I found was at this site.

http://home.att.net/~s-pawlowskis/canopy.htm

I like the sliding front doors the best and have never seen anything like that before. How high do I need the bulb off of the water? Should I paint the inside of the canopy white and what kind of paint should I use? Should I just put the halide in and skip the pc's? PLease let me know what everyone thinks about this. I am totally open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Josh

This is for your 30 gal tank?

The MH should be between 8-12" above the water surface. If you dont have a reflector I would suggest a spyder reflector. I have one that I need to install myself and I have heard good things about them. You can still use the PC's if you want but honestly you wont need them except for maybe dusk/dawn type setup where the PC's come on and then the MH and then the PC's go off last.

I wonder how the sliding doors are kept from swelling and warping due to mosture. Obvously the swelling or warping would affect its ability to slide.

I have heard if you paint the inside that you get best results from a flat white vs a gloss finish.

Wow, that's a great hood. I'm gonna steal that idea when I build my new hood for the 125. I don't know if I would want my PCs that far off the water though. For MHs, that would be a perfect hood.

I thought it looked awesome as well. I think if you put enough protectant on the wood, the doors would not warp and stuff. The setup does come with a spider reflector as well. I was thinking I might just store the pc's for when I upgrade and then use them on my frag tank/sump under a 75 or 125.

fishfreek said:
I wonder how the sliding doors are kept from swelling and warping due to mosture. Obvously the swelling or warping would affect its ability to slide.

I have heard if you paint the inside that you get best results from a flat white vs a gloss finish.

I made my front and back to slide out to the top and have a open top on my Canopy. No problems with warping.

I just stained the inside the same way I did the outside and it seems to be ok. (2 Month running).

Back
Top Bottom