new mushroom colony ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GabeMarkClowser

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I just bought a mushroom colony yesterday and had a few ?s 1. How long does it take for the mushrooms to open up their still not opening like they were at the store. 2. What kind of flow and lighting. ANY help would be appreciated thanks

Tank specs
75 gallon
Fish: Maroon Clownfish , Melanarus wrasse, Valentini Pufferfish

Corals: Zoanthids and new mushroom coral
Lighting: 4x54 watt t5 new bulbs a month ago
Ammonia-0ppm
Nitrite-0ppm
Nitrate-10ppm
29 gallon sump with phosban and reactor and carbon in return section.
Protein Skimmer: Octopus bh 100

Do you have them on the base of your tank? They need very low flow or they wont be able to feed properly, i just picked up a very very well populated frag for 15 bucks did u leave ur lights off for 24 hrs after acclimation? Also how did u acclimate them? Matched salinity and temp and ph before hand i hope

Yes their on my sand bed and my lights were off for 12 hours or so their on now. I drip acclimated the mushroom coral for 1 hour and 30 mins. I also noticed the polyps are moving back and forth every so often. So ill try moving them to a lower flow area thanks

Ya lower the light the bigger they spread out. Stick them in the corner ot domething and they should open up.

Sounds right, just give them time, some mushrooms take weeks to fully acclimate, if you notice that your mushroom coral detaches itself off your rock and starts searching for a better home to attach itself too then your mushrooms are stressed to water quality , flow, or lighting issues

Moved to a lower flow with less light now I just have to wait thanks every one for the advice

Here is a update on what the mushrooms look like today. They seem to like where I placed them lol

ForumRunner_20130106_131434.jpg

Good stuff! I moved mine to the corner too lol theylove corners! Check mine out !

Attachments

• image-765236880.jpg
    image-765236880.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 121
  • image-1158928529.jpg
    image-1158928529.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 129
Nice!!!! So I wonder if any one on here has any idea what species of mushrooms I have. I have no clue because the petstore I got them from just said mushroom coral on their tank label. Lol

Lol i agree! What kind of lights do u run? Ive got three different kinds on my rock, i have a short bubble top mushroom, blue mushrooms and red mushrooms! This rock also has a few zooanthids on it! I got it for 15 bucks :)

I have 4 t5s 54 watts a piece lol their the cheap odyssea fixture but they have wave point bulbs in them. The bulbs that came with them were not to my liking so I changed them immediately lol

Really? Is this fixture on ebay? Im guessing you have the 48 in fixture? I wanna buy the 36 in fixture from odyssea its like 160 bucks..

Yea its the 48 inch fixture. I bought it off of aquatraders a year and a half ago for $100 lol its a pretty good fixture for $100 It doesn't have individual reflectors but I don't plan on having any sps so not a big deal. Mostly softies and shrooms and few lps down the road lol

Whoaa!! Good deal there then lol i live in canada, just found one similar to odysseas buts it not odyssea lol ive got a 35 gallon i wanna turn into a reef thats why im curious as to lights, i posted a new thread about it in the first sublink check it out ?

Back
Top Bottom