New reef....lots of doubts!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caco

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Red Sea Max (34g) ...this week the cycle was completed...and tomorrow I should do a PWC (5g)
Problably sunday I'll have my first fish...and I'd like to have a fish and reef tank.
I have 55 wats lights and my question...
What kind of coral should I look to start?
Any pretty and hard one ( I mean easy to keep)?

Should I waite a little more before that?

Thanks

55w PC over a 34g, probably go with something ez, like finger leeather coral, large polyp zoos, maybe some white pom pom (not silver) zenia, shrroms, etc. Depending on depth, aqua-scape, etc, may be able to get a nice wellsophyllia, or the like in there.

Will be my first one...for now 2 clown fish and something else...

As far as corals Some good starter corals would be mushrooms, yellow polyps and maybe some button polyps. You can see two of those three in my images.

Hey caco ~ Congrats on the newly cycled tank! I hope you don't mind if I chime in with some of my thoughts and experiences (if you do mind, quit reading now :D).

I have a Red Sea Max (34g) ...this week the cycle was completed...and tomorrow I should do a PWC (5g)

If you performed a fishless cycle, it might be a good idea to do a much larger water change before you add any fish. This way you will start out a little more ahead of the game versus having to deal with trying to lower nitrates and such slowly so that you don't accidentally shock your livestock.

I have 55 wats lights and my question...

Since I'm not very familiar with your exact situation, I just wanted to point out that wattage is not the only concern when it comes to corals. For example, having the right spectrum of light is also a key factor when it comes to corals...which is, in general, somewhere in the range of 10,000k or higher I believe. In fact...
What kind of coral should I look to start?
...your current set up may also dictate which corals you would have the most luck with. For example, even though I have about 5 watts of light for every gallon of water in my tank, because it is a tall tank, I have had problems with keeping moderate to high light corals anywhere other than the very top of my rock work without having to upgrade from my current light system. Additionally, as Devilishturtles may be hinting at, the type of fish we have may also dictate which corals we should or shouldn't bring home.
Any pretty and hard one ( I mean easy to keep)?

I agree with everyone else as far as hardy and 'easy' corals but....

Should I waite a little more before that?

IMVHO, it is probably a good idea to hold off on corals for a little while, or at least until you can be reasonably confident that you will be able to maintain the most ideal environment on a consistent basis. While I am sure no one really wants anything to die, but if for no other reason, the fact that most corals are relatively expensive gives me a lot of incentive to wait until I am sure I can keep them alive. :D

Last edited:
Thanks Tommy Gun...it's a lot of information I really like it.

Back
Top Bottom