New RO/DI Unit - Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris stevens

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got my Kent Marine Maxxima 60 gpd RO/DI and gave it a test run. Got a few questions:
1) I put the filter membrane into the housing and set it up per directions. Is it safe to assume that any water I'm getting out of the correct tube is indeed RO/DI water, and go ahead and use it in the tank?
2) I tasted the filtered water, and it has a strange plasticy taste to it - is this because the unit is brand new? should I run it for a while before using it for the first time?
3) I'm not going to be setting the tank up until August - is it alright to let water sit in the unit until then, or should I take off the canisters and drain it?

thanks

you need to run the unit and toss the first 3-5 gallons.. Yes tis ok to let it sit but I would run it for a little while every few weeks.. There should be no Plastic taste to the water so run it and toss the water like I said.... Glad to see you got a very important piece of equipment first...

A TDS meter will tell you how filtered the water is. You can get them pretty cheap on ebay. It will also let you know when you need to replace the membrane.

Back
Top Bottom