new rock in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanicsublimat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got my lr.com rock and it didn't smell too bad.. I looked it over( don't really know what to look for) and didn't see too many things that looked that bad, 'cept for a couple of anemones. when anemones start letting out strings, does that mean they're checkin' out? and what else should I look for? My tank is cycled and I want the life to live..

goin to get more salt now from the store for when the ammonia spikes... any advice would be greatly appreciated..

been up for 3 weeks.. and ammo and trites are zero.. I had some lr and ls in there while I was cycling.. this is the last 40lbs..

Any mal odors from the rock will mean you should expect some die off. Be ready with prepared SW to control any spikes and you should be fine. Your tank has already cycled for the most part so you are better off than had you just added the rock to a new tank.

Cheers
Steve

sure is hard to position this stuff so that u don't crush or harm anything else..:) thanks for ur help! My ammonia is already up to about .25 I've got some saltwater curing as we speak..

I've got some of this baserock sitting ontop of the sand and liverock ontop of that..will the sandsifting starfish or any other type of burrowing animal be ok, when I get them in a few weeks?? or should I position the rock to let the base touch the bottom glass? and should I turn on my protein skimmer now?

Oceanicsublimat said:
I've got some of this baserock sitting ontop of the sand and liverock ontop of that..will the sandsifting starfish or any other type of burrowing animal be ok, when I get them in a few weeks?? or should I position the rock to let the base touch the bottom glass?
If your going to have any kind of digging or tunneling animals, the closer to the glass the better. These kinds of animals can get underneath and undermine the stability. Sandstars will not be a concern; mostly gobies, jawfish and pistol shrimp.

FWIW, I would recommend against the sandstar. More commonly they will starve to death after a few months.

and should I turn on my protein skimmer now?
I would. Reduced organics will mean more life preserved.

Cheers
Steve

ok.. then reall I should have nothing to worry about.. I just won't get anything that will dig..thank you again:)

I know I shouldn't start feeding this stuff for a few days to let my water get right.... so what do I do when I need to start? I have a decent book about inverts, it has alot of info in it, but it doesn't tell which products to get.. such as the oysters that I have feed off phytoplankton, what brand? and what are some other common foods that I should pick up?

Most bivalve hitchickers usually don't survive long but phytoplankton will help. DT's or Biomarine Liquid Life. In the beginning at least, you shouldn't need anything. There should be enough nutrient from the rock to keep everything fed.

Once fish are added, what you feed them will typically be enough to feed everything else at the same time (species depending). Don't get caught up in buying foods for every animal you might find. Secondary feedings from fish food and waste are often enough for everything else as well.

Cheers
Steve

Ok.. that's what I just read in this book also... thank you.. My ammonia is at .50 right now.. should I wait till it spikes all the way before changing water? the trites were goin up as well last I checked them

Back
Top Bottom