new saltwater 55g tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Indigoblue

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

Im converting a 55g freshwater tank to a salt water.
I just ordered Dry live rock and sand.

I ordered dry live rock online instead of live rock at the local pet store because
the pet store wanted $400.00 or more for live Fuji rock. SO I decided for $130.00 to cure the rock myself. IM not in a big rush and im fine cycling the tank for months if needed.

I also have 2 hydor wave makers 850gph and im looking at a Reef Octopus
BH90 skimmer.

My question is I have a MARINELAND C360 100g rated canister filter with the bio trays. I think there are 5.
1. large sponge filters
2. plastic bio balls
3. ceramic noodle like media
4. carbon bags
5. a white filter to filter the water

I don't want to disregard this unit since its 4 months old. Can I use Some trays
for salt water?

this Is my first reef saltwater unit :)

Using a canister in saltwater is being avoided by most due to its high maintenance and the source of high nitrates when neglected. If you are not going to have a sump to hide most of the filtration you then have to settle for hob skimmer. You do not need any filtration while cycling.

I run a hob skimmer on my 55 and it grows everything in there just make sure you get one rated for the sonething kike a 75 gal tank

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you get micro bubbles you can make a bubble catcher I done that using an acrylic breeding container and some fikter floss. It doubles as a pod breeding ground

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi all,

Im converting a 55g freshwater tank to a salt water.
I just ordered Dry live rock and sand.

I ordered dry live rock online instead of live rock at the local pet store because
the pet store wanted $400.00 or more for live Fuji rock. SO I decided for $130.00 to cure the rock myself. IM not in a big rush and im fine cycling the tank for months if needed.

I also have 2 hydor wave makers 850gph and im looking at a Reef Octopus
BH90 skimmer.

My question is I have a MARINELAND C360 100g rated canister filter with the bio trays. I think there are 5.
1. large sponge filters
2. plastic bio balls
3. ceramic noodle like media
4. carbon bags
5. a white filter to filter the water

I don't want to disregard this unit since its 4 months old. Can I use Some trays
for salt water?

this Is my first reef saltwater unit :)

I'd like to welcome you to the saltwater side of the hobby.

I personally have a 55g reef tank.
I run only a HOB skimmer, two Jebao WP-25's and a heater of course.

How many pounds of rock did you order? Where from?

It's hard to get your hands on the RO bh-90. I looked at the same unit when I setup this tank...
I ended up getting a Bh-1000 instead.
As I wanted to buy it from a company like BRS, and not eBay or a sketchy looking site.

Your Powerheads should be a good turnover rate for the tank.

The canister is debatable. It can be used successfully with regular cleaning. Regular deep cleaning I should say.

Back
Top Bottom