New Sebae anemone, strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigalwoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, the other day my girlfriend bought me a Sebae Anemone for my tank, it's a relatively small anemone at the moment, but it may be bigger when it opens, I'm unsure because I've had it for 2-3 days and it still hasn't opened up yet.Here is a picture of what it's been like since we got it and it has moved around the tank and is now around the back under the rock. I'm not sure if it just hasn't adapted yet, or it's scared or maybe even sick but it hasn't opened yet and I'm starting to get a bit worried as this is my first nem. Let me know what you think thanks a lot guys.!

Attachments

• image-1336781522.jpg
    image-1336781522.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 121
What is your lighting? How old is your tank & parameters? That anemone
looks very bleached.

What is your lighting? How old is your tank & parameters? That anemone
looks very bleached.

My lighting is 4 x 24w t5ho'. 2 blue actinic and 2 white. My tank is about 7-8 weeks old, my girlfriend bought it white thinking it was 'attractive' and obviously didn't research or know too much about nem's. Oh and i have been checking my parameters lately and they are all within the desired readings. I have always had perfect readings on my parameters :)

I think we can tell what the problem is. The tank is too new and the parameters are questionable at best. Lighting is also borderline for a nem. Sorry, dont mean to be the bearer of bad news.

I think we can tell what the problem is. The tank is too new and the parameters are questionable at best. Lighting is also borderline for a nem. Sorry, dont mean to be the bearer of bad news.

Thanks for letting me know, id rather you tell me how it is than find out the hard way. Im pretty disappointed, and wish my gf had of bought a more beginner one with colour or maybe not one at all. Thanks a lot for helping out guys, too bad its unfortunate news.

Yeah sorry I agree, I don't think it will make it. Ideally, anemones should be added when the tank is established, around 6-8 months min.

Also your 2 bulb T5 is not going to support it, high end led's or MH, or a 4 or 6 bulb T5, for reference, my nems sit 6 inches under 2x250 MH, I have the same T5 lights but use them only as my morning/evening lighting. The MH are on from 2-7 each day.

I tried to keep a condy under 4 bulb T5HO early after entering the hobby. It wasn't enough to support it. I wouldn't try to keep a nem under anything less than a 6 bulb T5HO. What doesn't help is that a sebae is a more difficult nem to keep as it has been known to struggle during acclimation among other things. Best thing you can do is to *** another T5HO unit asap to get up to 6 bulb or to swap over to led or mh. Keep the parameters stable and keep with water changes. At this point it is all you'll be able to do.

I have to hop in here, because my nems are two years strong under a 24" quad T5HO. I am also keep a ORA maxima and 2 squamosa clams under my lighting. What it comes down to is the PAR your lighting is giving off. If you are using a bulb like odyssey or anything from a big box retailer, expect low par and poor performance.

I personally use ATI, I am running 2 coral+ and 2 blue+ bulbs with amazing success. The reason I think this is pertinent to bring up here is because I think it is wrong advice to say you cannot keep a nem under a quad T5HO, just have to supply the right quality bulbs.

With that said, I concur with everything else said. Nems just will not prosper in a new tank...

Readingexcalibur said:
I have to hop in here, because my nems are two years strong under a 24" quad T5HO. I am also keep a ORA maxima and 2 squamosa clams under my lighting. What it comes down to is the PAR your lighting is giving off. If you are using a bulb like odyssey or anything from a big box retailer, expect low par and poor performance.

I personally use ATI, I am running 2 coral+ and 2 blue+ bulbs with amazing success. The reason I think this is pertinent to bring up here is because I think it is wrong advice to say you cannot keep a nem under a quad T5HO, just have to supply the right quality bulbs.

With that said, I concur with everything else said. Nems just will not prosper in a new tank...

Thanks or for the feedback, what color are your coral lights? And why are they coral lights? Thanks again

Bigalwoo said:
Thanks or for the feedback, what color are your coral lights? And why are they coral lights? Thanks again

ATI does not use the traditional 10k+, they name there product line. The coral plus bulb is around a 12k temp and the blue plus us close to a 20k temp, maybe a little bluer.

Jumping in here.

I have a Sebae Nem which i have had for about 3 months now and shortly after i bought it the colour bleached and it started getting smaller. I was very close to getting rid of it as i certainly did not want it dying in my Display Tank.

I recently setup a QT and its now in there alone. In the DT it was getting harassed by my 2 clowns and couldn't get any peace or quiet so i thought the best thing would be to QT it! Its under new LED's i recently purchased and seems to be perking up. It got to a 'Really Bad' state and it is starting to revive itself.

I've had my anemone since month 1 , I know I should but my wife bought it cuz she tought it looked cool. I also have a four bulb T5 and haven't had a problem yet . Since I have added a GBTA and a RBTA. It's not advised to do so but it can be done .

No offense to noobs, but usually their lighting is minimal with inexpensive fixtures and bulbs at the start. It is a expensive hobby to get into. So a lot have less than adequate lighting. So unless you have a good fixture and bulbs a T5HO is not enough lighting. But almost all MH lighting will support a nem. And with a less than mature tank, the chances go down. Also noobs usually end up with bleached nems (thanks LFS) which need MH light if they are to have any chance at all.

begginersluck said:
How's the nem doing now?

Sorry it's not a very good photo, but it looks the same. This photo isn't too good either, the nem looked a lot healthier yesterday although its still bleached to hell. Time will tell I guess

Attachments

• image-3951672108.jpg
    image-3951672108.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 71
Is it possible to move the rock it is on a tad higher in the tank? It is leaning out to get light, but in the same breath don't want to shock it with tossing it at the top of the tank.

Sniperhank said:
Is it possible to move the rock it is on a tad higher in the tank? It is leaning out to get light, but in the same breath don't want to shock it with tossing it at the top of the tank.

Yes possibly, it's annoying because it strives for the light but since I got it, I have upgraded my t5ho bulbs and got more but it won't shine down behind the rocks and the nem doesn't know what his missing out on. I will try changing the position during the course of the day, il post updates.

Okay so I couldn't move the rock because it was attached to my entire aquascape and many corals would have been disturbed, so instead I carefully moved the nem and moved him near the front under the strong lighting and better flow, if it has any chance of survival this is it's best hope.

Back
Top Bottom