New SPS growth under CF!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
Check out the growth of my SPS frag under 9.6 WPG of CF in a month and a half time!

Just after I got it....
p8270740.jpg

Now.....check out all the pink tips...atleast 1/4 inch of growth on some....mind you the frag is only 2 inches tall!
IMG_3116.jpg

Obviously this is one of the species that does well under CF, per the intensity is strong enough!

I knew it could be done!!! I had a few people telling me that it didnt matter, you can't grow SPS under CF! Thanks for the post! :)

It can be done for sure.....I have excellent water quality in this tank, and pleanty of light........I plan to try something else soon!

That is an encrusting gorgonian......the frag isnt glued down yet for that reason....i may reaarange it soon.

I know nothing about SPS corals, so would you consider that amount of growth in a month or two to be pretty good?

BTW, I dose with kent nano reef.....It has a part a and b.......I have been using it for a while, and have good coralline growth, my clam is opening huge, and my acro is growing good!

The true colors of some acros can't be seen without stronger lights, IMO. Glad it it working for you.

most of the montipora family can do well under PC. lots of flow. keep them high in the tank and keep calcium levels up. you seem to be doing just fine. keep it up

steve r

The growth is great for only a month.
Keep on dosing. As the corals grow, they consume calcium, carbonates, strontium, molybdenum and all sorts of other things. To replenish all of these through water changes, you would have to replace 5% or so daily. Can corals grow without supplementation? Yes. Will there be some species that will not be able to compete with others? Yes. Can this be detrimental to delicate corals like SPS? Yes. Dose and monitor frequently. Your coral growth will continue to be great.

I still want to know what coral that is just off the side of that Acro...

Sorry that coral is a Corky Finger Encrusting Gorgonian!

P8270732.jpg

It is difficult to keep corals seperated in a 10 gal nano!....everything else can colide and fight for space but I want the Purple Tricolor Acro (A. Vaughani) to keep stay out of reach and grow to the top of the water!

I beleive I have the species identified right, The pics shows most of the colors, purlpe tips and a light brown stalk, but what you cant see in the pic is the metallic greenish tinge you see when you look at it, you cant see that in the photos!

As long as it is not a Paraerythropodium sp.! Those are highly aggressive encroaching critters!

The acro is beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom