New sump/fuge (with large pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just finished installing my new DIY 20g sump/fuge.

The old one didn't have enough room for a fuge, or lighting. This one has separate chambers for the skimmer (to maintain water level), the fuge (also will maintain a constant water level), and a chamber for the return pump (water level will vary with evaporation). The return pump chamber has two baffles so I can add a filter sponge, keeping the pump area clean, which was a problem in my old setup.

The old setup was / is disgusting - algae everywhere, smelly, and enough crud to fill a playdo container.

I went so far as to add sand, new lighting, and some more LR rubble. The hermits seem much happy with sand to crawl on instead of glass.

I'm not a wiz with silicone, and dont' really care if it looks pretty. Function over form, I guess.

Investment for sump - $29 for 20G long at PetSmart. $13 for 5 glass panes.

DSC00663.JPG

DSC00664.JPG

DSC00665.JPG

DSC00666.JPG

DSC00667.JPG

DSC00668.JPG

Sounds good. I got Miracle mud and a thin layer of sand in mine. Return (from the tank) flow on the left and a mag 12 on the right side returning to the tank. With almost 1000gph, I thoguth I'd have more turbulence down there, but it it suprisingly sweet.

Austinsdad - how's the miracle mud working for you? I've seen it in the magazines (its really pricey)... what's its benefits?

Working well for me I believe. Haven't done any real in depth testing, but I still do PWCs to supplement levels. STuff looks good in my tank and fuge. Anyway, here's an article I found...

Why Does It Work?
by Mike Paletta - SeaScope, Summer 2000

The results of this system to date appear much better than what I have seen with other refugia-based systems when used on a closed system and with less maintenance.

The “mud” which Leng has developed has high levels of iron and iodine, and just about every trace element found in the sea. The iron and iodine may help in preventing the Caulerpa from crashing. It may also work to remove the organics released by the Caulerpa before they reach the main tank. The slow leaching of iron and iodine as well as other trace elements into the water from the mud is also probably more beneficial than the typical bolus dosing of these elements, which most hobbyists do.

Whatever the effect, this system would not work without the presence of the “mud”. This was attempted by Aquarium Systems several years ago. A system was set up similar to the Ecosystem method where crushed coral was used as the substrate instead of “mud”. After several months, the system crashed from an uncontrollable algae bloom.

In a direct comparison with a similarly set-up Berlin Tank, Tom Frakes of Aquarium Systems found that the Ecosystem tank was at least as good as a Berlin tank on most parameters, and actually better on several other such as coral mortality.

I went to a glass company - there's lots, the kind that cut glass for desktops, coffee tables, replacement home windows, etc.

Also, you'll notice the silicone is black... I didn't know until I got home, but its intended for aquarium use. Think I got it at petco... never seen black silicone before.

Back
Top Bottom