New sump suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm taking the plunge and building a sump. I'm using a 30 gallon (36x12x17). I've read tons of DIY articles about sump building so I don't need a whole lot of explanation. I'm going with a skimmer section, bubble trap, fuge, then a return section. I know the bubble trap should be 1 inch apart, and the middle baffle 1 inch off the bottom. But, other than that, I'm not sure how big each chamber should be. I'll be running a 500/600GPH overflow from a 110 gallon tank.

The ASM G3 skimmer that I'm probably purchasing requires an 11x12 footprint. So, the 1st section - the skimmer section needs to fit the skimmer (11") and the drain pipe, plus I'd like to get 2 heaters in there too, which are 12 or 13" long. I have NO idea how big the skimmer section should be. The bubble trap will take up 2" space. And I have NO idea how big the return chamber should be. I'm assuming I'll calculate the skimmer section, bubble trap, and return section, and make the fuge as big as is left over.

Can anyone give me some suggestions. How tall should the baffles be (tank is 17" tall)? How big should the skimmer, fuge, return sections be (tank is 36" long)?

Thanks all.

- Skins

You should have took the the plunge and bought one.
You see that new MegaFlow sump filtration from ALL-GLASS AQUARIUM.
They got 4 models to chose from.
Give them a call to get their specs;www.all-glass.com
One of their models is 36x13x19.
GOODLUCK :lol:

That IS cool, but its $300 - and it really doesn't do what I want it to do. If I fill the main chamber with the skimmer, I don't really have room for a fuge or my heaters.

It is an interesting product though - didn't know they made these.

So, I did more research, and I guess I'm going to try and make my return chamber hold close to 10gal to make water changes easier - and the baffle height needs to allow for flow back when there is a power outage. So I guess I only have two questions and you can all just ignore my first post.

1. Where would the bubble trap be more useful - right after the skimmer, or after the fuge before the water is returned?

2. If I need 12" out of the 36" of the tank's length for the 11x12 skimmer footprint, how much more should I allow for that chamber? I don't want to just make the skimmer chamber 12-13" do I?

I had room for a skimmer and heater on mine.
1.After the fudge before the water is returned.
Are u going to use a bubble diffusing sponge.
2.Sounds right to me for the 12 inches.
Maybe you will get some more feedback

Baffles are probably best around half-height.

I'd make the skimmer section fit the skimmer and the tank drain pipe comfortably. Doesn't need to be much bigger, thats best left for the fuge section.

Have you seen Melev's sump pages?

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Might solidy some of your ideas.

Very helpful, afilter, thank you. The return section in the middle, feeding the main and the fuge might work. One question for you - why no bubble trap after the fuge? The return pumps water iinto the fuge and it just spills back over into the the return right? Doesn't that cause bubbles?

Also (for anyone) right now I have the large CPR HOB fuge setup. I was just going to sell it if I do this sump/fuge, but I'm thinking maybe I can hang it on the sump and use it for a rock rubble chamber. Anyone do anything like this, or have suggestions on how to modify a sump setup to incorporate the HOB fuge to the sump itself? There's not enough room for macro to really grow in there, but it would make a nice place to put rubble. Thoughts?

No bubbles from the fuge. Water volume is turned really low via a ball valve and the water from the fuge barley trickles over the wall. Additionally there is a DIY spray bar at the bottom of the feed into the fuge so there is not a main flow of water.

Back
Top Bottom