New tank build with minor issue.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwilliams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well this is long overdue but I finally in the process of a new tank build. A 180 gallon tank with a 75 gallon Sump/refug. The only issue I am having right now is that the durso drain pipes will not stay inside the bulkheads they keep popping out of the bulkheads not at the same time. I have contacted Aqueon and they said do not glue it into the bulkheads. The pvc pipes underneath the tank/stand are glued into the bulkheads from the bottom so I can’t pull the bulkheads out to swap it out with other bulkheads. What other solutions is there that I can try?

Are the bulkheads threaded?

Slip inside the top of the bulkhead and slip inside the bottom part of the bulkhead. But the pvc pipe is glued to the inside of the bottom part of the bulkhead so I can't take the bulkhead out without cutting the pvc pipe.

Oh, I'm seeing the problem. I wasn't envisioning the issue right. If there is already PVC pipe into the bulkhead and plumbed into the system, you will need to use either silicone or PVC primer to 'glue' it into place. Them popping out is when water gets under the pieces you are trying to add in to make the overflow a durso, when normally this would have already been accomplished as one solid piece of PVC during the original plumbing of the system.

Oh, I'm seeing the problem. I wasn't envisioning the issue right. If there is already PVC pipe into the bulkhead and plumbed into the system, you will need to use either silicone or PVC primer to 'glue' it into place. Them popping out is when water gets under the pieces you are trying to add in to make the overflow a durso, when normally this would have already been accomplished as one solid piece of PVC during the original plumbing of the system.

i was told by aqueon that those durso pipes are not to be glued into the bulkheads. i also watched a thread on you tube and you have to be able to get them out for cleaning periodically.

Then I'm not exactly sure what to tell you. That is what I would do...but I've had one heck of a 'rednecked' reef setup for quite some time and it might not be the best option.

i was told by aqueon that those durso pipes are not to be glued into the bulkheads. i also watched a thread on you tube and you have to be able to get them out for cleaning periodically.

The more permanent the pvc, the less likely it is to leak. Cleaning of the plumbing of a tank is a rare thing that probably should be done yearly, but mostly gets ignored.

To clean pipes there is a thing called a "Pig" that gets run through a pipe and manually scrapes the buildup off the inside of the pipes. Either that or buy a cheap snake from a hardware store.

The more permanent the pvc, the less likely it is to leak. Cleaning of the plumbing of a tank is a rare thing that probably should be done yearly, but mostly gets ignored.

To clean pipes there is a thing called a "Pig" that gets run through a pipe and manually scrapes the buildup off the inside of the pipes. Either that or buy a cheap snake from a hardware store.

Do you have a picture of that thing you mentioned "Pig" and were to get It? Also the one you mentioned to get at the hardware store what department would it be in?

Do you have a picture of that thing you mentioned "Pig" and were to get It? Also the one you mentioned to get at the hardware store what department would it be in?
This is what a pig looks like. They are just plugs used for cleaning out pipes. Dunno where to buy 1 tho.
The snake is in the plumbing section. Basically a long hose to manually clear any debris.HIW_pigging_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom