new tank set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wapparia

Aquarium Advice Regular
ForumRunner_20111120_215435.jpg
Hi all. Finally got my new tank and filled today. Happy got the sump and just now planning on the fishless cycle and what to put in it. It has taken a lot of planning and hours of research but am happy finally set up.

ForumRunner_20111120_215457.jpg

Chaeto has finally went into fuge today and levels are progressing well. Thinking of sticking a few chromis in soon

ForumRunner_20111209_160143.jpg

have u test it for a power outage? it dosnt seem like u have much room at the top of your sump for error or back siphon

The is no error if there is outage because there is no pump in dt it is free flow so what ever goes in from sump comes back out at other end. I will attach pics. Thanx for looking :)

What ever comes over the edge falls through and out of back of tank and down tube. If you look in first pic of sump you can see the white pipe. Thanks for looking

ForumRunner_20111210_183322.jpg

ForumRunner_20111210_183115.jpg

Tonight is the night that the cycle was complete so the cuc have entered the tank. I have added one redleg hermit and 1 cleaner shrimp just to get started. Next are pair of black and white clowns on Thursday. Added some red plankton to feed cuc and keep cycle going.

ForumRunner_20111216_221559.jpg

The is no error if there is outage because there is no pump in dt it is free flow so what ever goes in from sump comes back out at other end. I will attach pics. Thanx for looking :)

what they were getting at is if your power goes out the pump in your sump will stop working. Meaning your display tank will drain until the water level is exactly even with your overflow that is drilled. When power shuts off on my 125 I have about 5 gallons of water that has to drain into the sump. This is because when power stops that continuous flow overflow does not stop draining when your pump stops.

If you don't believe what people are saying, try cutting power and see if your sump overflows, my guess is it will if its still that high. Dont do this unless you are prepared to clean up the mess it is likely to cause.

yetee said:
what they were getting at is if your power goes out the pump in your sump will stop working. Meaning your display tank will drain until the water level is exactly even with your overflow that is drilled. When power shuts off on my 125 I have about 5 gallons of water that has to drain into the sump. This is because when power stops that continuous flow overflow does not stop draining when your pump stops.

If you don't believe what people are saying, try cutting power and see if your sump overflows, my guess is it will if its still that high. Dont do this unless you are prepared to clean up the mess it is likely to cause.

Hi I have cut the power to the pump and took a picture of before I cut power and after. This was the one disaster I didnt want because my girlfriend would kill me ha ha. I have a fail safe method and I never have to adjust the return pump.

the green chromis have finally gone into my tank. they went in the other day and they are doing fine. i am going to keep an eye on all the levels and the growth on the rock (i think it is bubble algae that was brought in with rock) then think about adding the 2 black and white clowns. i am also going to start to think about what other fish i want to put in.

I have now added 2 pyjama cardinals and an emerald crab. All the parameters are fine just concerned the cardinals wont eat the flake food so I a feeding them red plankton and they seem to love it

ForumRunner_20120101_202122.jpg

ForumRunner_20120101_202108.jpg

The rest of the fish have now went in except my 2 clowns. I have added 2 chalk gobys, a purple firefish which passed away, a biocolour dwarf angel and a foxface rabbit fish. Added the firefish and gobys around 4 weeks ago so have waited to add the 2 latest and everything seems fine now. Only thing is that I am little worried in adding the clowns after the 2 latest but didnt have any in pet shop and liked these 2 latest fish. I do belive the dart died because it had been in tank with a friend for couple of months and the guy said it was ok to split them up. . Just cant decide on minstral or perculia clowns. Thanx for looking and comments welcome. .

Took A chance today and added a couple of frags. Was really surprised because only charged me £12 for 3 polyps and a mushroom. 2 have taken fine but one of the polyps isnt so good. looking now to start my own phytoplankton culture so it doesnt cost me a fortune. I have a random spare cupboard at the top of my stairs that we dont use. Sorry photo is a bit poor.

ForumRunner_20120219_234424.jpg

Back
Top Bottom