New Tank Set Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dee_Dee_fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Setting up a tank that's someone has torn down. live rock filter heater lights etc.
They didn't use a skimmer or sump. He said this has been running many years with minimal maintenance.
running 2 canister filters.
is a skimmer necessary and is a filter/skimmer as beneficial as a skimmer alone. meaning is it pointless to use a 2in 1 piece.
I really want clownfish and an anemone. so what's other good coral suggestions to add with these low med high? and fish as well
it's only a 75 g so how much can I really put in there.
I have done much research and know about placement for lights and cycling and I know patience and timing are extremely important. when establishing my rock, and I plan to do some seeding as well. should the lights be left on 24/7 during the break in cycle?
Many questions I know but these things I can't seem to figure out.

The best is to use RODI water for mixing new saltwater.
The best is to run a double sized protein skimmer, or there's more chance that you get algae/nutrients problems.
The best is to NOT use a canister filter on SW tanks for filtration, as they quiclky become nitrate factories.

I don't recommand using anemone in a reef, as they can clug the overflow box and do a huge mess, or do like in a blender/mixer when going on a powerhead. I heard bubble tip anemones tend to stay in place.

Powerheads placement is fine tuning, you must determine where to place it by the flow it make. It's case to case.

Clowns don't require anemone in a reef tank. Only in nature.
They may host some corals/rocks or powerheads.

During cycle you should get ammonia and nitrites, so I don't recommand turning lights 24/7, as you can get an huge algae outbreak from this. Just run the lights as you would normally run them with established tank with corals and see if anything happen.

Setting up a tank that's someone has torn down. live rock filter heater lights etc.
They didn't use a skimmer or sump. He said this has been running many years with minimal maintenance.
running 2 canister filters.
is a skimmer necessary and is a filter/skimmer as beneficial as a skimmer alone. meaning is it pointless to use a 2in 1 piece.
I really want clownfish and an anemone. so what's other good coral suggestions to add with these low med high? and fish as well
it's only a 75 g so how much can I really put in there.
I have done much research and know about placement for lights and cycling and I know patience and timing are extremely important. when establishing my rock, and I plan to do some seeding as well. should the lights be left on 24/7 during the break in cycle?
Many questions I know but these things I can't seem to figure out.

On a tank this size a sump is a huge help, and I would also recommend a skimmer. Even if you go the hob route I would get a skimmer. The canisters do tend to trap detritus and can cause nitrate spikes if not cleaned frequently. Getting an anemone really depends on the lighting you have for the tank, as does coral selection, but for fish you can check liveaquaria and search by tank size to get an idea of what's available. You don't need to run your lights while cycling

I believe this marineland tank comes with a fixture but I'm certain if it's not LEDs than I should get a new one
what's recommended? does the invisible LED strip lights work well?

No strip lights are generally just for accent. Look for led systems with 3 watt LEDs (most are run at 2w, this is fine as rarely are LEDs run at the full wattage). The eBay Tao panels are very popular on here, and a simple reef lighting search on the forum will lead you to a link for them I'm sure.

For hightech LED, there's a system that come with 3 watts leds, but it's a bit expensive, but very cool.

R420R LED lighting. That's what I use and I'm really pleased with this product. (60w version for my nano)

With this you can grow everything.
R420300r16b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom