New tank ... Thoughts on sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laura1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!!!
Ok so I had a tank and now upgraded in size, previous tank didn't have a sump - so I'm still learning about the sump!!
I was advised to put bio balls in the sump and since reading on here I think maybe best to
remove them ???
Possible to replace with pellet skimmer??

The tank seems to b running well, nitrate levels have been on the high side but a reduction in feeding water change appears to b helping.

Attached a couple photos if current set up, would appreciate your thoughts on ways to improve .

Thanks Laura

Attachments

• image-1115509640.jpg
    image-1115509640.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 102
  • image-1013940628.jpg
    image-1013940628.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 121
If you use bio balls they will need to be cleaned weekly (sections of them at a time not all at once) to avoid a nitrate buildup but they are a great means of adding surface area for BB (beneficial bacteria) the best way to utilize them though is through a trickle box where they are just getting water dropped onto them allowing for a lot of air contact. I would instead use rubble rock in your sump since the rock holds anaerobic bacterias inside of it making for a more effecient biological filter.

Edit* Welcome to AA and sorry about the wait :)

Yeah the bio balls seem to be hard work , think we will slowly start to remove them and put something else in its place.
Thanks for the reply

Yeah.... personally I'd ditch the bioballs as well and just turn that chamber into a second live rock/refugium section, or either remove or cut out a big section of the center baffle & make it one big chamber.

Thanks good to see my thoughts are on the right track!
Will start removing them slowly !!

What I think of as rubble are very small pieces, and I wouldn't use any.... Not enough room between pieces to allow for efficient water flow. As far as how much rock, I'd put as much as can comfortably fit and still get good flow throughout with a couple/few powerheads.

ahh good to know...I am also working on a new set up. going from 12g nano to 55 corner bowfront and have been accumulating info as well. fuge vs sump argh

Back
Top Bottom