new things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I aquired a few nice frags over the weekend and a few fish for the 55 last night. The frags were a blue pulsing xenia (it was pulsing while in the bag!)
a rock with a couple different colors of zoos and a shell with 5 ricordia on it. All rather tiny, but watching it grow is half the fun.

Last night, we got a Niger Trigger, Valentini Puffer and a Lawnmower Blennie for the 55. I had looked at it empty for long enough. The trigger will eventually need a bigger tank, but by the time he does, I am quite sure we will have one. Right now he is only about 2.5 inches long. The puffer about 1.5 ..really little fellas.

I also ebayed for some of the "hirock" base rock. It ended up costing me 63.98 for 50 lbs. I will just put this in the 55 and let it age and gather life while the HOB filtration does its job. Then dump the filtration.

I will get to the pics eventually...things have been crazy round here.

It is rock that supposedly has come from the hawaiian islands ... looks fine for base rock. You can buy it off their website www.hirocks.com or you can find it on ebay under a search for Base Rock 50lbs

Hara, is the rock light? or heavy? I went to the web site and all the pictures look like Lace Rock...This I was told not to put in my tank because if Iron content...If this is any way shape or form volcanic I wont use it, however, if it is light and really pourous,,,well hmm,,, good price for good base rock...

I figured if it was dredged up out of the ocean, it must be ok....Iron is bad?!? I have been adding an iron supplement to my tanks to help with the macro..

Iron is bad?!? I have been adding an iron supplement to my tanks to help with the macro..

Yes it is, in large quantities. yes you can add it, however, if you have iron in the rock, and add iron, you run the risk of contamination to the point that it could be very detrimental...I read this, not experience it...I just try to make sure that I do not get rock that has it in it if possible... I trashed my lace rock because the levels were too high... I guess with anything you add to your tank, after a while you reach a point of toxicity... No biggie, I was just wondering if it was light or heavy... meaning, a lot for your money or a few rocks that weigh 50 lbs.

Ok, duh I found more pictures of the rock, yes it does look more like dead LR. We get this rock here for 1.49 a pound. it is pretty cool looking and looks like it will grow new stuff rather quick due to the pourous quality...

here are a couple of pictures. hopefully I will get some better ones soon.

Back
Top Bottom