New to corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a fowlr tank and want to add corals. Is the major difference just the lighting or is there more to it? Just trying to look for more information about it.

I have marine land LEDs for lighting right now

Thank you!!

I just started this transition myself. I bought a low output t-5 and some LED lighting. Not sure if this is all I have to do but it's been working. I have added a Red Bubbletip Anemone, Pulsing Xenia, Metallic Green Polyp, Green Star Polyp and a cool Long Tentacle Plate Coral. They been in my 55 gallon tank for about 2 months and everything is going good. Good Luck.

Thank you!! Same to you!! Do you happen to know what lighting you need?

You will likely need better lighting, filtration, salt and a handful of other possible changes. Depending on the corals and other livestock you choose you will need to keep nitrates down really low.

And feeding isn't necessary. Some corals you can spot feed shrimp and other meaty foods but not necessary.

Lighting and other things

Thank you!! Same to you!! Do you happen to know what lighting you need?

There was a huge discussion about the lighting heres a link I've actually ordered the same lights that Mr. X is using. He's got about 6 and I've got 1. He's using his on some huge tank he's got and I'm using mine on 10g. The lights are dimmable, so, versatile among different applications. Here's a link to my build page, I just put my light up today. Check the last page, although you may find some useful info if you read through it.

You're going to want your SG between 1.025 & 1.026 for corals. I'm sure you've got enough rock, but just in case, you'll need at least a pound per gallon. You'll also want plenty of water movement in your tank. In my 10g I've got a TopFin 75 (300 gph) plus two Hydor 240 wave makers. My water is churning so hard some times I see little whirlpools spinning right between the filter return and the Hydor. I may have too much water movement but hey it's a reef and I can always unplug some current (ooh that was clever...)

Anyhow check out the lights, they're TaoTronics Dimmable 120 watt. As for feeding I'm not sure what the story is, I'm only FOWLR right now and waiting till the end of March to add my corals. Stick with it and have fun!

:dance:

I currently have a fowlr tank and want to add corals. Is the major difference just the lighting or is there more to it? Just trying to look for more information about it.

I have marine land LEDs for lighting right now

Thank you!!

What size is your tank? :fish2:

The only ones I feed are my RBT and my Plate Coral. I feed them silver sides every other day.

The light I have is corallife t-5 low output. It's been doing a good job so far.

Back
Top Bottom