new to saltwater setting up ten gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to AA, first off let me suggest that a 10G is a difficult first SW tank, the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain the correct levels. Although with enough attention and commitment I'm sure you ca handle it. First of do you have yourself a test kit and refracometer?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Be sure to take your time through the cycle phase and may I suggest you use the raw shrimp or pure ammonia method oppose to live fish method to cycle your tank. If you are unsure on tank cycling just ask.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Let's be realistic. Sorry to burst your bubble but you can't do a SW tank on a $75 budget.

Even if you looked on Craiglist for a used system. What you should do is start reading up and saving. Look on Craigslist for 75 gal systems and make that your target.

A 10 gal SW tank presents a host of problems and when you start having issues and deaths you'll only get discouraged.

We are about promoting the love of the hobby. Sometimes, that includes telling people things they don't want to hear.

I will secound that one very good advice hope they listen...ten gallon tank then buy a tang or something like that and wonder why it died lol...unbelievable..

You MIGHT be able to do a $75 10 gallon tank to start with but it won't be that cost by the time you are finished. For a 10 gallon one fish and one only a damsel. They are very very mean and it will most likely not want another fish any where around it. I have a 24 gallon with just 1 damsel living in it.

I got a 12 gallon jbj set up for 60 it was a total mess. I gave to to a friend after I got it up and going. He has one damsel in it and that is all. Those deals are few and very far between. I spent more hours getting that tank presentable than anything.

It can be done but you are going to have to wait for a deal like I got the only thing I replaced was the sand it was crushed coral and I regular live sand for it.

While you are waiting for a good deal like I got start researching. You will find even buying used you will be spending about $100 per gallon so a 10 gallon tank will cost you about $1000 the first year and by the time you get done with that first year you will want to upgrade.

Ryan, have you had any aquariums before, FW? From your name it looks like you are into Yellow Tangs. I understand you aren't ready for a tank large enough to house one, but going small isn't the best way. It is easier (assuming you can afford all the equipment) to have a 125G than it is a 10G. First off, you'll spend $5 - $10 on sand. maybe a little more just to get the LR. You'll want to spend $50 on a bucket of salt. WIth a tank that size you'll be doing a lot of water changes. Right there you are already at $75. No tank, lights, heater, powerheads. I love this hobby, but it isn't a cheap one. You'll find in the long run, if you ignore us and just jump into it, you'll spend even more money on replacing fish, dealing with algae...etc.
You can find some good deals on craigslist, but if this is your first, 30G minimum. Do any of your friends or family have a tank? There also might be a local reef club in your area that can help with finding cheaper setups. $75 won't cut it though..not for the long run at least.

While I agree bigger is better, a 10G to start is not impossible or extremely difficult. My first (and only) SW tank is 14G, and I've had no major issues.

Also the fact that $75 is limited doesn't mean he can't do it, he never specified whether he was going FO, FOWLR, or reef so he may never have to buy lights or LR. Powerheads may be another piece of equipment he could skip without any LR. And he may have a LFS around like I do that sells premixed SW, added he doesn't have to buy a full bucket of salt to start.

Just be aware that you will be limited on space and you'll have to be aware of your water parameters. Since your budget is only $75 I'll try to get a small break down of stuff you'll need and the price.

10G standard tank: ~$15 from Walmart
Filter (I suggest an AquaClear 30 to do the job, maybe a 50 since you won't be having the biological filtration of LR) : ~$30-40 at a petsmart or petco around
Heater: 50w should be fine ~$20

That's a bare minimum tank, no sand, no salt. Now the filter I suggested is a bit pricier than someone with your budget would look at, but worth it IMO. If at all possible widen your budget to have a tank more accomodating for fish

thank ever1 i appreciate the help and my brother is breeding clown fish and said i could keep two clownfish in that tank with very very good filtration and if i do need a really big tank does anybody have any deals they can give me on tht sort of stuff

Look yellowtang 696 it's very hard to make a marine tank with 75 dollars and you only have a 10 gallon tank the way I would say is forget a protein skimmer for a minute and just start off with a hardy fish witch is cheap but in your tank just get a filter and a heater and live rock would help as well that should work

Spend 75 on your tank then save up and buy your equipment step by step even if it takes a while you will be better off!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

+1
you really should take it slow and steady. The key to saltwater is taking your time. You will be much happier spending the money on a tank you want and getting it piece by piece and not jumping into something

Back
Top Bottom