New to saltwater tanks!! Want some info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondachico

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have recently started a saltwater tank have been awhile with fresh and wanted to go to salt, I just want to make sure I am I'm the right track.

I have a 35 gal hex
Marine land t5 fixture with two 10k and two blue actinic with 2 moon LEDs.
Penguin bio filter bio wheel for 50 gal with double filter
1200 gph power head
Lights are on a timer: actinic on 1 moon led off and 10k on at 2 then 10k off at 10, actinic off at 11 and moon leds on
I have a marine land heater rated for 60 gal on at 78
Have 40lbs of live rock.

Live stock- yellowtail damsel,striped damsel,two clown fish, threw away coral catfish, 10 hermit crabs, 10 snails, sailfin tang, and one condy

Please I need some info just want to know if I should change things, do something idk where I am at right now just know my water is good.

The only problem I'm really having right now is that I'm getting brown hair algae in my tank in the walls, rock and sand but the snails and the tang are doing pretty good job cleaning and the crabs and really good in the sand, my water is ph 8.0-8.2 salinity is perfect the only thing I don't know for sure on numbers is the nitrate and nitrite because my pet store just tells me and shows me the water is good but don't know the numbers

Brown hair algae are your fish able to eat all the food they are given in a feed? Or nitrate levels are high

Get your own test kit - API brand are good. You need to know yourself and test on a schedule.

The brown algae is fine, it should pass, but test the water first and see where your nitrate level is. You may have a phosphate issue as well, so I'd get a phosphate test.

Once we know parameters we can start to come up with solutions.

Ok so I'm going to get t own test kits then, and with the feeding I am feeding the fish mysis shrimp and I give them half the little cube in the morning and the the other half at night idk of its too little but they eat it all and seem to want more. But they are all happy and moving everywhere , but I really need to get a test kit

I have used the API kits from the get go and I can tell you that they are better than nothing but not good. I would recommend spending the extra money and getting good test kits. The other thing I would recommend is finding a new home for that tang. A 55 is not nearly big enough for a tang. If it is a Kole tang you are ok for a little while but with any other tang you need a much bigger tank. JMHO

You can feed with the mysis cubes but make sure that you rinse them out and get rid of the juice. The juice that the mysis are frozen in is like rocket fuel for unwanted tank growth. Try putting the cube (or half) in a strainer and run under water until you just have the mysis left, then dump them in. You can also use a turkey baster if you are target feeding.

Ok because I put the cube in a container with saltwater from the tank to thaw out and then I feed half of what the cube give me, so I guess now I will just run the cube through a strainer so no turbo juice gets in the tank lol

You should buy a fine net and do the complete rinse and thaw of the shrimp how big is your salifin tang ? And how long has your system been up?

My system has been up for 6 weeks and the tang is small it's about 2 inches by 3 with the fins

This is my setup

Attachments

• image-1073619251.jpg
    image-1073619251.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 91
  • image-1672755147.jpg
    image-1672755147.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2585514217.jpg
    image-2585514217.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 97
To work on the algae I would cut your lights back, do some additional water changes and cut the feeding back as well.

I also strongly agree that the tang needs a MUCH bigger tank, even if he is small right now. That tang in particular needs a 6 foot tank just for starters.
In addition, that anemone should not have been added so soon. Clowns won't host a condy and those nems can actually eat fish and they get huge normous. lol I had one and returned it, took up nearly 1/3 of my 30g tank when I had it.

Back
Top Bottom