New Wet/Dry filter set up. I'm confused.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Local PetCo Was just remodeled last month and they now carry Lots of Reef items like Anemones, Corals, Sea Stars, etc.
They had this http://www.proclearaquatics.com/pro_wetdry.htm I got the Pro 150 Model.
I figured i'd try it out. Im confused on how the skimmer works. on the collection cup it has a "drain hose" and its says "To drain bottle. Not supplied" Whats it going to Drain? and it also came with a pump for the skimmer The Cap 2200 the box says that its rated at 800 but the web site says 581 GPH is that good?

I have many more questions.

Thanks Guys.

ummm ace.. why did you get a wet/dry?
I would avoid them to avoid NO3 8O
you could use LR rubble instead of bio-balls though.. to aviod the NO3 problems..

its going to drain simmulate.. nasty stuff that is.. :p you can get anything to use as a drain container.. some use a gallon jug or big gaterate bottle all the way up to 5 gallon buckets for big skimmers..
well.. it would depend on if the pump is matched well for the skimmer, that I couldnt tell you.. is it a venturi skimmer? it apears that way to me.. youll need the air hose comming off the pump to be above water level for it to work..
hope this helps ace.. good luck :p

The cup is where the skimate from your protien skimmer collects. Every so often you need to remove it and empty it. Yours has a drain feature which will allow you to place a container under the hose to collect the skimate allowing more time to pass until you need to do maintenance on the collection cup itself. Any container will do, just know that the skimate can smell so a lid with a hole might be recomended.

Periodically you will still need to remove the cup itself and clean it. If you are not getting a lot of skimate you could also temporarily plug the drain hose and just use the cup.

HTH,

It is a Venturi skimmer. Should i ditch that crappy skimmer and upgrade? and what return pump should i use? This is going to be used on a 40 gal. tank.

And yes, i was planning on using live rock rubble instead of those bio-balls.

compare its size and flow to other venturi skimmers sold and if they are rated for around 80+ gallons it should be suffecent..

I have this wet/dry as well and I love it. The skimmer skims like crazy and is not "crappy". I did remove the egg create the bioballs sit on as well as all of the bioballs and filled up the middle compartment with 30lbs of LR rubble. BTW, my NO3 is always between 0 and 2.5. As for the skimmer drain hose, I use a 2 liter pop bottle. I drilled a hole in the plastic cap of the bottle for the drain hose to fit snuggly into. I actually left the trickle tray in place and run PURA filtration pads on it. I run a couple bags of chemi-pure on top of the LR rubble. You bought a good unit, with some easy modifications it will be even better.

ace.. I didnt say it before but venturi skimmers work.. I would keep it if it suited my situation and since your tank is only 40 gallons.. I would assume the skimmer is plenty big..
lando.. how big is that skimmer? what do you think its normal capasity is? around what the sump is rated for?

sump is rated for 150gal tank. I think it is a bit over-rated but it works great for my 72 gal.

SWEEEEEEET!!!! sorry for the "crappy" comment. lol
I checked on other forums and they all gave it two thumbs up just changed the bio-balls for live rock.

Lando, What pump do you use for the skimmer and what pump do you use to return the water back to your tank?

And, I do have to run a air pump to the air hose in the venturi right? which do you use to make it "skim like crazy"?

Thanks alot guys.

oh and btw i got the unit for only $37.00 no tax

venturis use the velosity of the water to suck in air.. in other words there not designed for an airpump.. the hose just needs to be up above the water level so it can suck air..
and YOU DOG! $37.00 is a steal for a sump like this! :p

Thanks Greenmaji,
Yeah i was lucky. it had a crack on the top right hand corner only 1 inch long they were going to toss it and right it off i was in the right place at the right time.
I fixed it with acrylic cement. you cant even tell it was cracked.

ace I do not know how much you will collect from your skimmer but FWIW I have my drain line from the skimmer plumbed into the sewage so I never have to empty it out. Comes in handy because sometimes I skim wet for a while to dump 30 gallons or so from the tank. (AquaC EV1000) I also have a wet/dry filter and my nitrates stay at .5 I hope to zero that soon when my refugium is up and running.

Lando, What pump do you use for the skimmer and what pump do you use to return the water back to your tank?
I use a Mag 7 as a return pump and whatever came with the sump for the skimmer, I think its a Rio of some type.

Brenden said:
ace I do not know how much you will collect from your skimmer but FWIW I have my drain line from the skimmer plumbed into the sewage so I never have to empty it out.

thats a good idea, Brenden!

Lando, Mag 7 huh? i'll have to check that out.

Brenden.. Ive seen that you have your drain line plumed to the sewer system in your system.. Im guessing you have never had your skimmer go "nuts"...
I dont want to worry anyone including you..
I've read of people putting reverse switching devises in there drain container to kill the power to the skimmer pump to insure not having problems but of course these people might just be overly cautious..
does anyone have thoughts on this?

I have never had my skimmer go "nuts" I have messed with it and got it to skim really wet a few times on purpose. Even then I would rather that water go out of the house than fill up a catch bottle and spill on the floor. Even if it did go "nuts" I can loose about 50 gallons before anything would happen. If it did happen it would just cause some bubbles to be pumped into the main by my return pump.

Back
Top Bottom