Nitates high......What should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
My story is: A feww weeks agaon i had just about everything die off in my tank. 75gal FOWLR. Not sure if it was because i stirred all the sand at the bottom or what. But eveything died but the snow eel. After a couple of weks the eel is fine and the readings are great. So I pick up 4 damsels. They are fine for a week and the readings are great. i pick up a very small lion fish and a little puffer, readings are still great. Now 5 days later I check the readings and all are fine but the nitrate. they are way way up there. Basicly the worst reading on the rea sea chart. So I doa 20gal water change. I wake up today, a damsel is dead. Nitrate reading still very high. what should I do, and what can I do? HELP

thanks

for one thing, you are adding too much too fast.

Do water changes daily until this is back under control.

I agree about adding fish too fast. In the future I'd also recommend checking water as you add the fish, not after they die. That'll tell you if water changes are needed also before problems occur.

A puffer and a lion only 1 week after 4 damsels was asking for problems. I know this a very exciting hobby and we all want fish in our tanks, but maybe this experience will be remembered. Also make sure your water is aged for a day or two.

50% water changes won't hurt anything. This is what I did when my nitrates were to high to help get them down. I did large water changes every other day with RO/DI water since my tap had high nitrates also.

What type of filtration do you have, LR, canister, sump?? Skimmer on the tank?
Remember when you do water changes to mix water for a least 24 hours before using and bring it up to temp. I would do more smaller 20-25% wc then 1 large one, IMO less chance of stressing the fish.
As you learned stiring the sand is not a good idea, why did you stir the sand???

Smaller water changes would take longer to lower the nitrates. Say you have 100% nitrates. A 50% wc will bring them down to 50. 50% more 25%, etc. etc. 20% water changes will take your water from 100% to 80%, to 64% to 51%, etc., etc.
Normal nitrates may be kept under control doing 20% water changes but to lower high nitrates, larger changes are the only way to dilute it enough to make a difference. I had nitrates off the chart and this is how it was explained to me. The large water changes every other day had no effect on my fish or corals. Just have to be sure the temp, salinity and ph are all consistant. Good luck.

I myself would not do a 50% water change Too much of a change in the chemical make-up of the water. That is why they reccomend 20 to 25% WC. Why I understand your math I still don`t understand the reasoning of a massive WC. I respectfully say this as I wish not to overstep an Advisor. Thanks

Because from experience I can say it doesn't hurt your system as long as the salinity, ph and temps are the same. As for my reasoning, if the fish are dying due to high nitrates, the quicker they are taken down the better. If you are using the same salt, the temps are the same, the ph is the same and the salinity is the same, how does that hurt the "chemical make-up"? Here is a link to when I had my nitrate problems.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=23647&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Also, just because I have advisor under my name doesn't mean I'm always right. I'm still learning lots all the time. I only posted to help this person because I've had experience with fixing a high nitrate problem. This is how I did it with no ill effects to fish/coral/inverts.

I understand your reasoning but we will just have to agree to disagree. As i told someone in a earlier forum today that 5 years ago I had ick in my tank bad. I went and got a UV light to help take care of the problem. A week later the ick was gone and have not seen it in 5 years since. Now when I put the UV light in the tank the ick disappeared. But you and me both would never tell someone that has ick just go get a UV and everything will be fine. Some people get lucky and some people do something they dont intend to and it works out. I dont know which one was me back then. Its been an interesting talk. I have learned some things.Thank you

I have a Remora C skimmer and an ocean clear canister filter. I have done 2 20gal changes, my tank is 75gals. Also before I added the lion and puffer, this was after having the damsels in for a week, there were no nitrates. The nitrates have come down a little, but I lost a 3rd damsel this morning. Is there anything I could add to help, like Prime or something. I plan to do another 20gal change tonight.

Back
Top Bottom