Nitrate creep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've noticed in the past 3 weeks my nitrAtes creeping up from near zero to somewhere between 5-10ppm. I'm careful about feeding, and typically only do so 3 times a week (alternating between pellets and PE Mysis). Livestock is composed of 2 clowns, hi fin goby, pistol shrimp and a skunk cleaner. The tank is FOWLR for now, but I'm prepping it to add corals...

I have a HOB filter running a Purigen pouch, but also a 50 micron filter pad as well as floss (primarily to keep a bacteria colony available for a QT if I ever need it). Could those pads (or maybe just the floss) be the cause of nitrate rise (ie, a nitrAte factory like bioballs or the mesh that the BakPak2 comes with)?

What's your water change schedule? Nitrates will creep up over time due to the ammonia being converted, and the water change is what will bring the levels back down.

Weekly, 20% changes with RO/DI water (zero TDS, nitrites/nitrates, etc).

How often do you rinse the media in the filter? I swish mine in the tank water that I removed for the change.. Could also just be your tank and the amount of ammonia it's converting. Nitrates are a natural part of the cycle, which is why we do our water changes.

Now that you mention it...I stopped swishing it around in the old water a couple of weeks ago...dangit, I'll bet that's it. I'll have to get back into the habit of doing it.

Yeah...I would if I could, but as it's a sumpless nano, I think pretty much everywhere will gather gunk.

Back
Top Bottom