nitrate levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmku

Aquarium Advice Freak
My nitrate level is pretty high (about 35 ppm). Is a mass water change the only way to decrease this?

There is something called a denitrator but it is pretty expensive. You could try adding sand. But the sure fire way is replacing water. Maybe 1% every day.

at that rate how long would it take for to get to reasonable levels?

Plants will help too.
But I think seafan must have meant something more like 10 % a day.
I bought a product called Purigem and I think it has brought my nitrate levels down to almost zero.
I didn't think it would work, but can't think how else to explain it. Jeff

Your best options are:
Many 15-20% water changes and less feeding
1.5 to 2lb LR per gallon
Refugium with macroalgae and/or DSB
DSB in main display
Combining any of these options will give you even better results. Good Luck.

I would try and figure out why it is that high, size of tank, fish how much lr, CC or sand bed?... fuge? Adding chems is only a temporary solution. I would go with just water changes till you can get the problem solved

What is your source water for top-offs and changes? If you are not already using RO/DI water then that would be a good start. Tap water tends to bring nitrates up. What type of filtration do you have? More LR and LS will help, as long as it is cured. Try 10% water changes every other day for a few days to see if that helps. What is your feeding schedule, tank size and live stock list?

20 gallon
rena canister filter
20 lbs live rock
1.5 inch cc bed
1 chromis
1 peppermint shrimp

the tank is 4.5 hours away. My dad is taking care of it and i'm just looking for a temporary fix. I can't get home to do any major water changes until thanksgiving break. Does anyone else have any experience with Purigem?

I'd suggest 3 things,
1. water change
2. clean your canister
3. clean(vacuum) your CC.

2 and 3 need to be done pretty often as they'll both produce a lot of nitrate. FWIW 35 isn't sky high, but it could be better.

Agree with Indy, to help things out I would take the CC out and put in 2" sand bed. CC is the worst at trapping waste and causing nitrates. I have read that 40 ppm is getting to the point where it could stress the fish and cause health issues.

I have the purigem in both my tanks. It does help. Also your dad could just add copious quantities(as directed of course) of Prime. It is supposed to help with ammonia, nitrites and with nitrates. I use this also.

Back
Top Bottom