nitrate levels. help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all, my tank has been cycling with live rock for about 3 1/2 weeks. My trites are zero and ammonia is coming down. My question is my nitrates... what side of the card do I read? High or low? Here's a pic of what I'm talking about...

img_1647724_0_70cd73b48388e4b950a78f881c8cbed6.jpg

Left is high, right is low... I really wannacput my fish in there! Lol

It's low, but you need to still wait to put fish in. Wait till your ammonia comes down.

K, your going to see your nitrites going up. It's not through cycling yet.

Try an API test kit, it's about $25. It'll give you better level readings. You want your ammonia and nitrites perfectly zero. If it's only reading 1 then 0 on trites, I wouldn't trust it. This is IMO. I still think you need to wait.

Try an API test kit, it's about $25. It'll give you better level readings. You want your ammonia and nitrites perfectly zero. If it's only reading 1 then 0 on trites, I wouldn't trust it. This is IMO. I still think you need to wait.

How long do I need to wait? Its been 3 and a half weeks.

I know. It takes each tank different times. Just gotta be patient. Mine took 6 weeks for my 90g.

If you have anything but 0 Ammonia you are not done cycling. Once the ammonia drops, the nitrites will come up as a result. Then they’ll drop and nitrates will rise. Wait until you have 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrites, then do a good water change and your tank will be cycled. Adding anything before that will just be the beginning of months of frustration, trust me.

If you have anything but 0 Ammonia you are not done cycling. Once the ammonia drops, the nitrites will come up as a result. Then they’ll drop and nitrates will rise. Wait until you have 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrites, then do a good water change and your tank will be cycled. Adding anything before that will just be the beginning of months of frustration, trust me.

Thanks for the info. I guess for now ill save my tests and just check ammonia once or so a week till its zero and then do others. My salinity is almost 1.032 can that mess with my levels?

No. but you need to drop it. Use less salt when doing mixes for pwc. For now, let it be till everything is 0.

Back
Top Bottom