nitrate on my nerves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dezizz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gal fish only tank with damsels and clowns, some crabs and snails. It has been up and running a long time but I have a problem. Although my ammonia and nitrites are zero, my nitrates stays around 15-20 ppm, what to do? (note: I use 50/50 bulb) Also I siphon the gravel monthly with a 25% water change is this correct?

First, what type of filtration system are you using (i.e. LR, wet/dry, etc...)? Wet/dry's are nitrate factories so that may be part of the problem if you are using one? Second, what do you feed and how much are you feeding? Overfeeding a tank is an indirect cause of high nitrate levels as well.

Unfortunately, even with water changes, nitrate levels will continue to rise unless you have a better means of removing them from the system. You will find that people who keep corals either use a refugium or a DSB in order to keep nitrates to minimal levels.

FYI, currently your nitrate level isn't too terribly bad. Fish will have no problem with that. It is the inverts that will suffer though.

Nitrates High

I'm having the same problem, I've done water changes also, so what type of filter system do you recommend for getting rid of nitrates?

i am having the same problem but i took some guys advice by feeding less and set up enough water for a full change, i have set up water to change for a couple of weeks and in one week i change water every other day, for about 25% - 30%. i see my nirate level going from 160 - 20, so water change will work but you have do make sure you slowly add the water in to your tank

Hey, it all comes down to what you want to keep in the near future. I had that same problem and purchased a Nature Reef CDEX Nitrate Filter for my 150 Tank and no matter what I do, the nitrates stay at 0, and only change my water 40% every 2 Month's. If you don't want to spend the money, you can set up a refuguim and set up a deep sand bed with some macro algae which feeds on the nitrates.

Nitrate problem

I, too, have the high nitrate problem in my 55 gal. all fish tank. I read that live rock helps (have live rock), live sand (have live sand, too). The tank has been running for one year, we change water (probably not as often as we should but we are being much more diligent now). But still, high nitrates.

Should I get this filter? Where does it go? Is it hard to hook up? And what about these plants? I read about "calpuera?" or some mangrove plants. I really have no room in the sump, can you just stick them in the tank? So many questions! We have recently had a couple of unexplained fish deaths and I suspect it could be high nitrates because everything else is perfect, all the levels, and I check weekly. And yes, I have the trickle or wet/dry filter with the rock, with the sand. I thought that was the best filter. Thanks

What a relief, when I read the thread title I thought it was about me :oops:

Water changes, reduced feedings, water changes, keeping filters properly cleaned, water changes, not overstocking, and water changes are the best Nitrate controls that I have found. I still have high nitrates, but I have large carnivorous fish and have just come to the conclusion that it's gonna be high and I'm going to have to do bi-weekly water changes.

I have a filter like to the one Fishboy has and although it helps, my nitrates are still high. I'm working on removing my bio-balls and replacing with LR rubble and I'm also going to change my CC over to LS.

Back
Top Bottom