Nitrate problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bouch097

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up my tank about 3 months ago and everything looks great. But unfortunately, I still haven't been able to get my nitrate down. I've got a 65 pd block of Tonga show branch rock and I've had a couple fish die that I haven't been able to find because they are probably in there somewhere. My serpent star has been pretty helpful by dragging a carcus out on occasion though. I've done several water changes but I can't get the nitrate down, it just hovers around 20. I haven't lost any corals due to the nitrates, but the last two fish I tried to add kicked the bucket within a week so I don't want to add any more until I can figure this out. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I highly doubt that the high nitrates would cause the 2 fish to die.. I would look more into the acclimation process as well as how long the LFS had them before you got them.. AS for the Nitrates what kind of setup do you have and what test kit are you using.. Salifert and Seachem are good ones and probably the most accurate.. To lower the nitrates you could setup a fuge with some macro in there.. That should help ya out.. Also how much are you feeding. I noticed that I have been feeding alot heavier lately and my nitrates went to 5 for the first time since the tank was setup..

James

Here's a picture of my set up. To acclimate them, I usually float them for a 1/2 hour and then run a drip for about another 1/2. I'm just using cheap test strips. But I'm more concerned about the consistant nitrate being present than the accuracy of the reading. It's pretty much always midway between the 20 and the 40 color. I typically only feed once or twice a day, and within 5 minutes, it's all either eaten or taken up by the drain into the sump. And now for the newbie question, what is a "fuge with some macro"?

Thanks

I typically only feed once or twice a day, and within 5 minutes, it's all either eaten or taken up by the drain into the sump
I think this is way too much and probably causing your Nitrates to be high.. I would cut back to feeding every other day and only what they will eat in 5 mins..

And now for the newbie question, what is a "fuge with some macro"?
Its basically another addon tank kinda like a sump with lower flow and usually macro algae (SW plants) and sand.. It is usually ran reverse photo period from the tank to help curb huge pH drops..

I'm just using cheap test strips.
FWIW red sea said I had 20-40ppm of nitrates and Seachem and Salifert all read 0-5 there is many interferences that could cause the issue..

James

Back
Top Bottom