Nitrate problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnsmith

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

My nitrates have been extremely. (Around 40 ppm). I have tried water changes, more hermit crabs, Cato algae, and chemical nitrate removers. Nothing works. Please help!

Water changes should work?:confused:
What % have you been trying?
The % of waters volume you change is the % the nitrates(or anything) will be removed/diluted...
That being said more info?
Tank size,stocking,equipment,how long set up.....

There are other ways to rid nitrates besides waterchanges.....:whistle:

I was doing 20% water changes. The tank has been running for 6 months with a hang on back filter. Thanks for your help!!

So a 20% water change will only reduce nitrates @40ppm to 32ppm.
Then with natural gain you will quickly go back to 40ppm.
Change 50% if you want 20ppm,75% if you want 10ppm.
Or 50% this week and 50% next week should yield aprox 15ppm??
Then you can go back to smaller changes...

What size tank??

It is 36 gallon tank. It's has two clowns, a yellow tang, a small yellow goby and three fire fish.

Holy cow !! Thats some fish for a 36g!!

Last edited by a moderator:
the yellow tang don't belong in nothing smaller than 75g but bigger is better, you need to consider re-homing him ,once he is gone your tank is fully stocked

adding more hermits just add fuel to the fire thats not how you correct your nitrate issue
like said above bigger water changes will help correct the issue ,
how much do you feed , I would look into cutting back on feeding

Hi!

My nitrates have been extremely. (Around 40 ppm). I have tried water changes, more hermit crabs, Cato algae, and chemical nitrate removers. Nothing works. Please help!

is this a fish only tank or do you have coral as well?
40 ppm of nitrate is actually relatively safe for fish, not ideal but well within safe parameters.
for coral not so much.

I would also venture a guess that the tank is under filtered if all you have on it is HOB.
What size/model filter is it?
What is you usual procedure for cleaning the tank and filter?

The tang alone produces more waste than all the other fish combined probably. Water exchanges will help. A efficient protein skimmer will also help. If you have room, a small ATS will eliminate nitrates in a short period of time for good.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom