Nitrate Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmoney

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I tested my tank last night and relized my Nitrites were off the chart. My tank is 2 months old, and I have about 15lbs. of LR and about 15lbs. of BR. I have a 55g tank with 1 porcupine puffer, 2 damsels, 1 goldstripe maroon clown, black sea urchine, anenome, and a upsidedpwn jellyfish. I read that high nitrites can be because of over feeding. Currently I am feeding my puffer 5 small krill a day, and a cube of frozen brine shrimp, and a couple flakes of flake food. Is this too much, and if it is what shoul I cut it down to?

oh, wow, that is way to much food! Most people only feed every other day and sparingly also. That is surely the source of your nitrates. Also, it's a good idea to rinse frozen food in RO/DI water beforehand as the water they are frozen in contains nitrates also.

I know it may seem strange at first to only feed every other day, but your fish will be just fine and you can get your nitrates under control easier and faster.

Also, brine shrimp is like potato chips for fish--not much nutritional value.

HTH

Your 55 is ok at this point but that puffer needs a 100+ gal tank eventually. If not planning an upgrade soon I'd return to your lfs for a credit if possible.

Good article on puffer care. Damsels & clown will be eaten eventually

1 cube of frozen (not brine, see this post on feeding requirements of SW fish.) every other day (1/2 morning other at night) would be more then enough for your puffer and other fish at current size.

Back
Top Bottom