Nitrate reading 160? API test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosesrblu1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

I just took my nitrate reading and it's showing bright red with the API test kit. I remember reading something that you need to divide this number by something to get your true reading. Can someone help me out. I am running 54g reef set up over 3 years and have never had this issue. I have a wet dry trickle filter and am running chemi pure and gfo in the bag under the drip plate. All coral seem to be extending and polyp are out. Just did a 10% pwc on Sunday.

I am kind of freaking out. Test kit could be a year old, and I did the test twice to make sure I didn't add too much and test wrong. I shook the bottles for a while too as I heard that you should do that.

Omg, what is going on!!!

If your still reading the same on a different test kit then I'd jump on a 40% water change and run a more in depth test and see why it's suddenly shot up !

Ok, so I took my water to Lfs and they tested at 20, which is a way better number than 160. I bought a new test kit, red sea...time for another pwc!!!

Thx!

Rosesrblu1 said:
Ok, so I took my water to Lfs and they tested at 20, which is a way better number than 160. I bought a new test kit, red sea...time for another pwc!!!

Thx!

Double check with your new kit to make sure. At least I would :)

API nitrAte kit is notorious for giving false reads. I went through the same thing. I went through 3 kits. They should really do something about that. Call the company they will send you a new one free. You just have to send your back.

Wow, I have been using an API for over a year...... Makes me wonder what my water quality really is........

I got the grate and phosphate combo kit...looks really cool...for a test kit...going to try it out in a few...fingers crossed...I knew something was off because I have good polyp extension and the fish look good...weird...even my hubby is thinking about 86ing all the API and getting red sea.

What do you all use for ph and ammonia, as red sea doesn't make them and when they did, they got horrible reviews. Salifert???

Back
Top Bottom