Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joel488

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My nitrates are at 10 ppm any advice on how to lower it I do a weekly water change but doesn't seem to help

is your tank completely cycled?
If no, then you have to wait as it is start to build up the bacteria colonies.
If yes, then you need to find the source
Do you over feed?
Do you use carbon and are they in the tank for sometime?
Do you have some filter bag that require cleaning?

Im also interested to know because i keep doing weekly water change and it doesnt seem to go down. Let me know if you find the answer :)

daney90 said:
Im also interested to know because i keep doing weekly water change and it doesnt seem to go down. Let me know if you find the answer :)

10ppm of trates is fine. You will struggle to get it lower than that.

Nitrites and ammonia are what you want at 0. You don't want nitrates at 0 usually 10-20 ppm is perfect

Edit- I just realized this was in the SW section. I was just browsing the current section, so my information was in regards to FW. I have no clue about chemistry when it comes to SW. So my apologies if my information is inaccurate.

There is a website on vinegar dosing. I would give you the link but it seems the website is down. Google....

Reefkeeping Magazine - Vinegar Dosing

My nitrates are at 10 ppm any advice on how to lower it I do a weekly water change but doesn't seem to help

If your doin weekly water changes and nitrate dont go down then your adding to much ammonia via overfeeding or overstocked nitrates are the end result of cycle macro algae will help and yes it is very possible to have 0 nitrates also nitrate and phosphate come from 2 different sources as stated before nitrate is end of cycle phosphate is rotting or decaying matter both should be 0

10ppm is ok everything is alive and doing well? If so keep up with what your doing and your livestock will be fine. Don't add unless you have to.i have 2tanks that were running high, I just kept doing my maint. And there fine now. What test kit are you using if API they tend to read high.

Back
Top Bottom