Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcj0033

Aquarium Advice Freak
So My montipora pieces have started to bleach and i got my water tested and I found out i have really high nitrates. I have a 80 gallon tank with a refugium and a skimmer. I now feed every other day and have done two 10 gallon water changes a week. What are some ways to lower nitrates. I bought some prime to help but I need some permanent ways to lower them.

The best way I know is to grow and harvest algae. Several ways to do this, from a algae scrubber, to a simple ball of chaeto and a light in your sump.

Calcium would have a part of that too. What is your calcium reading?

Low alkalinity can cause them to die as well. Should check calcium, alkalinity and magnesium if possible. Those water changes should have worked the nitrate levels down. Are you using RO/DI water?

I would do a couple large water changes. 20 gallons or so. 10 gallon water changes really isn't going to change your nitrates a lot

I did a 25 percent water change to help with nitrates, how long will it take for me to see some results

Will purigen help get rid of some of those nitrates

dont rely on chemicals to rid your tank of trates. decide what target number you want to be at for trates, then simply do 50% pwc until you get there. wait 2-3 days between water changes. once you get down to 5 or below, you shouldnt have a hard time keeping them there.

Back
Top Bottom