Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flangers

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have high nitrates in the red, it's a 32 gallon with 8 fish 6 soft corals and about 12kg of live rock, I have bio balls in the back compartment I was wondering should I leave them out? Done water change last week!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What are the rest of your parameters? Have you retested to see if it's correct. I once had blue API ammonia readings when the scale is measured in green!

Need numbers and info to help. What fish are in there (8 is a lot in a 30 IMO), maintenance routine, age of the tank etc?

8 small fish, banji cardinal, 2clown, green clown goby, damsel, anthea 2 different wrasse!
Salt is 1.023,
po4 less than.05,
amonia <.25,
ph 7.5-8,
nitrate about 70,
alk couldn't get a reading last three times and it did the first 4 times from new, I do about 30 litres a month in water changes!

I'd start doing 10-20% changes a week especially with that huge load of fish. The anthias need to be fed a good amount and depending on te wrasses they could have quite the bioload. You need to either up maintenance or lose some fish IMO.

Ok so il do water change this evening! It's a green and six line wrasses! Should I remove bio balls??

I only feed one cube if brine shrimp per day and they doing ok

IMO bio balls don't work as well as plain old coral rubble does. But at this point I would get the nitrate lower before making additional changes.

Yeah I'm going to use those glass like pellets that absorb the nitrate lets hope that helps with water changes!

Back
Top Bottom