nitrates getting me down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just can't seem to get ahold of my nitrates in my 35 gallon tank. All other parameters are perfect. I do a 5-10 gallon water change weekly and I am running an aquac remora Skimmer, half gallon refugium with chaeto algae, and a penguin 200 with carbon inserts. I have 2 fish (mccoskers flasher wrasse & ocellaris clown), a few of different types of snails (nerite, trochus, matgarite, & nassaris) and 2 shrimp (peppermint & cleaner). I wouldn't think the bioload would be too much on my tank. I have plenty of live rock and about 3 inch bed of sand. I also have corals including many zoas, mushrooms, polyps, and a Duncan. I just did a WC and my nitrates are at 18 ppm! Other params are calcium- 410ppm. KH- 161.1ppm. Phosphate- 0.10ppm (which is another thing I don't like). Salinity- 1.245. Temp- 79°f. Any ideas why my nirtrates wont go down and stay down and also the phosphates?

Oh and I also feed my fish twice a day. One or the other of the following: Hikari marine S. Or frozen prawn roe I think it'd called ova Mar or something like that. Its tiny little eggs. Frozen squid or krill.

Really?? Every other day huh? It says on liveaquaria to feed him 2-3 times daily.

I feed every other day. Your definitely over feeding IMO.

Also did I read correct, only 2 fish? Put it this way I have.

2 clowns
2 cardinals
1 orange spotted goby
1 six line
1 blue dot

And they get fed every other day. The ONLY exception I make is every Wednesday they all get live baby brine that my LFS gets in fresh that day.

I feed a variety of cubed, reef nutrition and rods food. I soak the food in Selcon and even though highly debatable I use garlic on occasion.

Last edited:
Yea I just looked it up. It say the best way to mimic nature is a small portion or two everyday. But some people feed once every 2-3 days. I also read its different for herbivores and carnivores too. Some carnivores like eels and such can go with weekly feedings while herbivores like a tang need a nibble few times daily. Both of mind are carnivores though do I will definitely try out the every other day feeding it whatever. They did eat everytime I fed them though. Especially the wrasse. Thanks.

I`ve been feeding every other day for 14+ years now. Also I would not be overly concerned at 18 ppm. The goal is 0 but dont stress out at 18ppm. You are at a decent spot now. Just try to tweak it a little at a time and you`ll be at 0 before you know it. Feeding every other day will be a good start.

OK. Thanks. It should help a bit kinda common sense as far as that goes. I just want my fish and tank to be happy. I didn't really know how high it could allow with the corals and all. At what ppm should I really start to worry? My goal is 0.

U wish my LFS sold live brine shrimp. They could live in the tank causing no harm huh? Well up until they get eaten

paul87 said:
U wish my LFS sold live brine shrimp. They could live in the tank causing no harm huh? Well up until they get eaten

I guess. He gets them Wednesday and there gone by Friday. There in a tank with a air stone in it. There definitely live though. I turn my pumps off and there all swimming around.

Back
Top Bottom