Nitrates in Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aztlan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys, I got my first fishes, two Blue Damsels. They are in my 10 gallon
tank. Ammonia and Nitrites are at 0. Nitrates around 15 using Salifert.
What's a good a level to be at? How often do I need to do a water changes? How much should I changed out at a time?

Thanks,
Rogelio

Well, most fish can handle nitrates up to 40 ppm. But I would try to keep it under that for safety's sake by changing out the water. No more than 10% a week.

Make sure you scoop out any uneaten food in the QT as any leftovers also contribute to a higher nitrate level.

FYI, I never did water changes in my QT tank. I never tested for nitrate either. If I did, perhaps I would have done a change or two.

;)

So 1 gallon a week it is. The damsels spend most of the time at the bottom of the tank, opening and closing their mouths. They look scared and their body color is black.

When no one is nearby they are swimming all over the tank. They also change color to bright blue.

My yellow tail will actually change color to light-blue/white when stressed so I think the color change is their reaction to outside occurences.

It will take the fish a few days to get used to their surroundings. I wouldn't be too worried about their behavior just yet. They are simply stressed from getting moved around and then being put in new environment. They will get used to it soon enough.

Also, do you have anything in the tank that will allow them to hide? I used a sunken ship ornament I bought from Wal-Mart. It gave the fish somewhere to go where they felt safe.

They like to hide under or behind the sponge filter, they also have a couple of white Pvc Elbows and T-Joints to hide in.

Now I have to wait 2 weeks 4 days to add them to my main tank. Can't wait!! :D

Back
Top Bottom