Nitrates Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably rigged so you have to buy their other products. Lol

Note to self.. Pink dotted gobies eat Nassarius Snails shell and all lol. I just feed him wtf. Poor guy only lasted 4 hrs smh.

Hey guys any opinions on lighting systems? I need to buy a new one would like some recommendations ifvyou have any. As of right now I have a fish only with a few mushrooms but would like to get into corals. In case you forgot I have a 30 gallon.

1 taotronic LED unit from ebay will do ya. I'd suggest not getting the 90 degree optics so you get a better spread over your 30 gallon. I have 2 on my 55 and love them. Under $200...

Not cleaning your filter for months would certainly cause a high number, it's not like freshwater! If your using a canister on a salt tank you need to be cleaning it at least once a week to avoid waste build up. As mentioned before, your beneficial bacteria live In your rocks and the canister is just holding waste and putting it back in your system. I can remember if you use a protein skimmer? If so I would just remove the canister and if not, I would get one and remove the canister ;) you will still need to do weekly water changes which I assume you do already? Def do a couple of big ones back to back now, if that is a true nitrate reading it's pretty high!

Not cleaning your filter for months would certainly cause a high number, it's not like freshwater! If your using a canister on a salt tank you need to be cleaning it at least once a week to avoid waste build up. As mentioned before, your beneficial bacteria live In your rocks and the canister is just holding waste and putting it back in your system. I can remember if you use a protein skimmer? If so I would just remove the canister and if not, I would get one and remove the canister ;) you will still need to do weekly water changes which I assume you do already? Def do a couple of big ones back to back now, if that is a true nitrate reading it's pretty high!

No protein skimmer or canister. I have a aqua clear 40-70gal filter with the sponge, carbon and pellets combo. I'm definitely doing the water changes the next few days I did one today and I'll do another tomorrow.

Ok guys so I did two water changes and clean the filter of waste in the last 6 days and its still same. I'm going to do one more water change to see if it helps. I'm thinking its the test kit that's the issue and not the water. Anyone know what a good test kit to get is? I'm using API's now and I've gotten two bad kits so they are out .

Did you have a LFS test your water for a second opinion?

Something is causing the nitrates. Doing a water change and the numbers staying the same does not make sense. Maybe test the water you are adding prior to putting it in and see if that comes up nitrate- free.

Can you get your lfs to test as had same issue with API and now use Red Sea for most test and Salifert for nitrate.

Did you have a LFS test your water for a second opinion?

Something is causing the nitrates. Doing a water change and the numbers staying the same does not make sense. Maybe test the water you are adding prior to putting it in and see if that comes up nitrate- free.

Ya I have a store about 20 mins away. I agree. I had the same issue at my other house and I use a RODI 5 stage system so I don't think its that but maybe. That's why I was thinking it was the Test Kit.

Can you get your lfs to test as had same issue with API and now use Red Sea for most test and Salifert for nitrate.

The red sea has been working? Do you have a Red Sea based tank or no?

I've been using the Red Sea kits and there good but use Salifert for nitrate as it's clearer to read the results and no ain't got Red Sea tank hot aqua reef.

I've been using the Red Sea kits and there good but use Salifert for nitrate as it's clearer to read the results and no ain't got Red Sea tank hot aqua reef.

Ok I'll check it out thank you

The bottom line with nutrients is how much are you putting in v.s. how much you are taking out. If you are feeding daily, and running a HOB filter that you don't clean for months, I would say it's pretty easy to have high nitrates. Just put all the food you feed in a week in your hand. Do you take this much nutrients out of the tank in the same amount of time? If not, then there is your problem.

As stated before me, the snails and crabs don't really do any "cleaning". The reason you have to replace them is either that they starved to death, or they were killed by hermits. I'm betting they starved to death. Nassarius snails eat meaty foods, they do not eat algae or detritus, contrary to popular belief. They are carnivores.

The bottom line with nutrients is how much are you putting in v.s. how much you are taking out. If you are feeding daily, and running a HOB filter that you don't clean for months, I would say it's pretty easy to have high nitrates.
As stated before me, the snails and crabs don't really do any "cleaning". The reason you have to replace them is either that they starved to death, or they were killed by hermits. I'm betting they starved to death. Nassarius snails eat meaty foods, they do not eat algae or detritus, contrary to popular belief. They are carnivores.

How long after cleaning HOB filter weekly and water changes will it take to bring nitrates down ? The snails die bc of my 6 line wrasse attacks them sometimes and my Pink diamond goby eats small nass snails. He's a nut!! The big nass nails have been fine.

Well, think about the math-30 gallon tank with 100ppm nitrates, and you do a 50% water change.....This will bring your 100ppm down to 50, providing the source of the nitrate has been removed. A smaller change, less....

Clean the filter out real good and put in new floss or media cartridge or whatever it takes and then test nitrates..

I has was battling nitrate problems for months!!! I finally upgraded the stock filter to a aqua clear 30 for my 15 gal tank. I bought some poly filter a some Chaeto algea. Within a week or so my nitrates dropped from 40-80 ppm to 5.0-0 ppm. Ohh and of course I do weekly water changes!

Sent from my LG-P769 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom