Nitrates stabilizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For the first time in 4-5 months since my 75g cycled, my nitrates stabilized under 20ppm.

I've been adding 5-10 pounds or so of LR every other week, from the local fish stores, whenever they have cured or nearly cured rock available. (Rock that they've had in for a couple months). I've found adding partially cured rock, 5-10 pounds at a time causes no ammonia or nitrite spike whatsoever.

I'm up to around 65 to 70 pounds of LR now.

I just checked nitrates, and they're the same they were a week ago! usually the climb about 10ppm every 4-5 days.

Did a 30% PWC, and nitrates are at 10ppm now.

I'm adding another 5-10 pounds in a couple weeks, maybe I'll actually see it start to decline over time, instead of creeping up like its always done.

I'm still hoping to eliminate the HOB filter, which holds so much crud in it - every time I turn it off, change/clean filters, etc., stuff just shoots out of it (and yeah, I have a filter pad over the intake), it still gets in there.

Also I'm building a new 20g sump/fuge this week, which should give me a lot more room for the fuge, and a separate, filtered area for the return pump, to keep crud from being sent to the tank any time the fuge is disturbed by topping off, PWC's, etc.

Those nitrates might be from and sponges and bio wheels.... I think you are on the right track in adding more LR!

No, they were the same over the last week before the 30% PWC.

I'm not mental ;)

Nobody is saying that you are mental, I`m just saying that PWC are a good effectual way to lower nitrates.

;)

I meant that the nitrates have been hovering around 20 for over a week, without increasing.

The PWC was to knock it down to 10 or so. First time I've been able to get it down to 10 without repetitive daily PWC.

A week later, no water changes (but daily topoffs), its still reading a 10 (AP test kit). Maybe a hair over, but closer to 10 than 20.

My chaeto is also growing now - noticably so - I think the new lights and new fuge are really helping, cause its doubled in size in the last couple weeks.

'Course the extra rock is helping too. Hopefully I'll get another batch of 10 pounds or so tomorrow, which will *almost* get me up to 75 (1lb/g).

I'm looking forward to the day when it starts to drop, without a PWC.

Does nitrate evaporate with water, or does it stay put and become more concentrated?

Scoot said:
Does nitrate evaporate with water, or does it stay put and become more concentrated?

Nitrates stay in the tank and yes become more concentrated

Back
Top Bottom