Nitrates too high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Unmarked test tube is my 55g. Stock is 2x percula clowns, 1x golden coral banded shrimp, 1x pom pom crab, 2x orange foot moon snail, 3x camel shrimp, 1x strawberry crab, and then a bunch of emeralds and hermits. The colors are hard to differentiate but it looks like 20ppm. The test tube with the green tab is my 20g purple spot mantis tank. Also looks like 20ppm. Are these levels too high for these setups? Should I do a wc or am I fine?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1422132182340.jpg
    1422132182340.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 124
  • 1422132192915.jpg
    1422132192915.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 133
I would not personally be OK with my tanks being so high with nitrates. This can be OK for FOWLR setups, but when it comes to sensitive creatures like inverts it should be as close to 0 as possible. So, I would bring those levels down further so they can be as successful as possible.

Ok just did a wc on the mantis tank and I'll do a wc on the 55g tomorow. Thanks for the advice.

You should be keeping the mantis tank below 5ppm

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok im gonna do another small PWC on the mantis tank while I'm changing the 55g.

In the mantis tank right now I have an Aquaclear 50 with purigen and about 10lbs of LR. What can I add in terms of filtration to keep the nitrates down? I was considering making a refugium out of another old aq 50 with some LR rubble and chaeto but I don't know how effective that would be. I could invest in a skimmer for that tank. I really like the aquac remora but those run at $180. I do have some Christmas money left over but I'd rather not shell out that money unless I have to.

You can easily keep nitrates down with proper husbandry in a small tank like that. IME, don't buy the remora. There are many skimmers that I'd rather have.
What is causing these nitrate issues? how are you feeding? How is the flow in these tanks, and are you allowing detritus to build up any where?

Mantis tank is down to 5 and the 55 is 10.

I think I've simply been feeding pieces of shrimp that are too large for the little mantis which subsequently led to the nitrate spike.

Back
Top Bottom