Nitrates under 1 ppm????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdaniel2882

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do you test for that. every test I have used does not show a difference between 0 and 10 (at least on perceptible in a test tube) and the color change between 0 and 20 is insignificant. I find it hard to believe that 1ppm is possible with anything alive in the tank. Everyone I have talked to with MASSIVE reef tanks say under 20 is acceptable and over 30 is not.

My LPS corals are doing great and my tank stays around 20 ppm. 15 after a water change 25 before.

come on 1 - 5 ppm......I will NEVER believe it without daily PWC's

I always say under twenty you are OK. Yes 0 is the goal but not always obtainable. What type test kit are you using?

API....I know my nitrates pretty much stay under 20. with all the talk about 0-5 ppm for corals I don't want anyone to think they need to do an emergency PWC if they see them at 10.

API....I know my nitrates pretty much stay under 20. with all the talk about 0-5 ppm for corals I don't want anyone to think they need to do an emergency PWC if they see them at 10.

I also think that less than 20ppm is ok. However, 0-5ppm Nitrate is very possible. I have used those API test kits and for me it is easy to get a 0 reading opoosed to a 5, 10, or 20. The 0 is completely yellow and anything else has a hint of orange in it. The more orange color the higher the Nitrate.
Reasons for Nitrates over or close to 20ppm may be, under-skimming, over feeding, heavy bioload, not thawing and draining frozen food, too small or too infrequent partial water changes. etc etc.
I think it is the people who have mainly sps reef tanks, like myself, that strive to be as close to 0ppm as possible. Sps grow faster and have better color with "cleaner" water.

Zero or very low are definitely possible in you're running a fuge &/or DSB. Other test kits also read with higher resolution, but as others said are most likely not worth it. Some corals (Zoas, shrooms, etc.) actually do better IME in higher nitrate as compared to SPS.

come on 1 - 5 ppm......I will NEVER believe it without daily PWC's

Never? Hmm... guess there's no need to tell you I'm around 2ppm right now, with weekly 10-15% water changes. I'm about the highest I've ever been right now too. Normally, it's around 1.0ppm. Seems like it's pretty normal with many folks I talk with, but if you're set on it being impossible... well... it probably will be.

As far as how to measure below 10ppm... get yourself a Salifert nitrate test kit.

Never? Hmm... guess there's no need to tell you I'm around 2ppm right now, with weekly 10-15% water changes. I'm about the highest I've ever been right now too. Normally, it's around 1.0ppm. Seems like it's pretty normal with many folks I talk with, but if you're set on it being impossible... well... it probably will be.

As far as how to measure below 10ppm... get yourself a Salifert nitrate test kit.

Am I wrong or isn't there something to be said for allowing the minerals from the salt to run their course. I am NEVER above 20 and lately have been staying around 10. I guess my point is is it realy necessary to be below 10. what requires this kind of water. my fish, mushrooms and LPS corals all seem to be doing great.

Yup, Bob and a few others are often quoted/sought out for their expertise/experience in the marine biology field. Although on this one I venture a guess that those still still engaged in the advanced education aspects of the field could easily weigh in as well. Maybe others as well

Am I wrong or isn't there something to be said for allowing the minerals from the salt to run their course.

I don't understand what you mean. Run their course? What minerals? And how does that have anything to do with nitrates?

I guess my point is is it realy necessary to be below 10. what requires this kind of water. my fish, mushrooms and LPS corals all seem to be doing great.

Necessary? Guess you're the best judge of that. If your tank is doing fine with 10-20ppm, then I suppose you have no reason to try and keep them lower. If I remember correctly, your tank is only a few months old? In my opinion, the health of coral are determined over years, not months.

Everyone's tanks are different, and we all get different results with different methods. But don't blow off trying to keep your nitrates low because you think that low nitrates are impossible. They aren't.

Back
Top Bottom