No nutrients but still got algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
First off water parameters 30 Gallon with 10 gallon sump

I have 2 Via Aqua 360's in there and 1 small rio for circulation.

Nitrate 0
Phosphates 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Calcium 500+
Alkalinity 80-120 ppm
PH 7.4-7.8 closer to 7.8
SG 1.024
Temp. 80 (Hard time getting any lower)

The only things that I see wrong with the parameters is my calcium, PH and alkalinity. I am using Seachem Reef buffer to raise my alk and PH to 8.3. I am doing weekly water changes of 5 gallons with Coralife salt. I have a really bad pink algae growing all over my rocks and even on my snails. I also have string algae and green hair algae growing in certain areas and on my zoo's. I am lost as I thought that if there are no nutrients in my tank then algae wouldn't grow. Everyone always says get rid of the nutrients which I have done but to no avail. Here is a link to the picture of the algae.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3646&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Does anyone out there no what to do about my problem, I need answers bad. Thanks In Advance

JOSH

That looks like cyno bacteria. I would susspect silicates. Increase circulation..that will help some. What kind of substrate do you have ?

Another powerhead wouldn't hurt but most of your problem is the low alk/ph. Instead of the weekly water changes, I would suggest changing 3-5 gal every 2nd or 3rd day. How much of the buffer are you adding/how often and what does the saltmix test at?

Does the tank have a solid lid?

Cheers
Steve

As Steve said, do you have any type of solid cover like glass on your tank? With good lighting, the glass cover acts like a lid on a pot and keeps the heat from the heated water via the lighting from escaping. Something like the "greenhouse effect"
Higher temps increase algae growth.

Lighting can be an issue with algae...also, 80 degrees is not too hot for your tank.

I have a hood that I built, I recently drilled holes in the top to let hot air out. I am using Seachem reef buffer to stabilize my PH and Alk to the right levels slowly. It is supposed to get my PH to 8.3

I do have silica sand but I have read numerous articles saying that it does not leach out but laso does not have a very good buffereing capability.

Joshsmit56001 said:
I do have silica sand but I have read numerous articles saying that it does not leach out but laso does not have a very good buffereing capability.
You are correct about the silica. It does not equate to silicates and in all honesty it should not be an issue. Although aragonite is better for it's contributions to buffering capacity, the silica should still not be causing your ph to bottom out so much.

What time of day is the ph being tested and have you tried a different brand of test kit to confirm your results?

I am also wondering about the Seahem buffer, both you and Biggen are having similar problems with alkalinity using the same product. Might be coincidence but something to look into. You did not mention what amount of buffer you are using and how often?

With the way the hood is designed, can you leave a panel open for a few hours to see if that makes a difference in the ph?

Cheers
Steve

I couldn't tell you if it would work better without knowing how you have used the Seachem buffer? How much/how often.

As far as personal preference, I have used both manufacturers and find the Kent Superbuffer DKH to be the better. I have not used the pro builder though.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom