No Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I really would like to set up a fuge but have very limited space. Is there any reason why I couldn't (shouldn't) just put a ball of Cheato in my display tank to help consume nutrients?

Aesthetically, I can't imagine it looking good. Chaeto will get stringy and you will have a hard time making it look nice IMO. Nothing says you can't though. You could always do a hang on fuge. Nothing says you have to have a fuge but they are a nice filtration addition.

Doesn't that work better in a "spinner" (sorry, can't remember the name), and will need to be trimmed?

ellisz said:
Aesthetically, I can't imagine it looking good. Chaeto will get stringy and you will have a hard time making it look nice IMO. Nothing says you can't though. You could always do a hang on fuge. Nothing says you have to have a fuge but they are a nice filtration addition.
Actually I have done just that in some of my tanks and it hasn't looked bad or stringy at all.
I got the idea after seeing a little 1gal nanocube that had had a couple of different macroalgaes in it at the LFS and it looked pretty nice and even a little more "natural".
I just took a ball of cheato and lightly wedged it in some rocks near the back of the tank.
It has stayed in a pretty compact shape and several critters have taken to nibbling on it from time to time.
It certainly looks better than the aquarium that I put an in-tank fuge... now that is butt-ugly.
Of course an HOB fuge doesn't take too much room and it gives you extra space for some LS or rubble, but you'd probably need to add some lighting if you want to get the most out of it.

How big is your sump?

No sump really - On my 46gal display I am running a ProClear Pro 75 wet/dry with bio balls and sponges removed. Main compartment has about 10lbs of LR rubble in it. No room for macro algae.

I'm actually sorry that I bought the wet/dry but it works well for the LR, heaters and probes. I would rather have put a fuge in the base of the cabinet.

I could squeeze an 18" HOB fuge between the rear of the tank and the wall if I have too. Will this require a pump that hangs into the display? I hate putting unnatural looking equiptment in the display. That's one reason why I bought the wet/dry in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom