Noise from Remora protein Skimmer-How to reduce noise???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zippy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi-- We have a 75 gallon salt water tankwith live rock, new snails ,crabs,and shrimp =and everyone is happy. However the noise from the Remora protein skimmer seems to increase daily. I have cleaned thec ollection box and tried to isolate the vibration of the plastic parts with stick on felt pads where they touchthe aquarium with little results. Any suggestions ?? Are there other brands that are quieter?My powerjet is a Rio. This the 5th week of operation of the tank. You can hear the BUZZ 20 feet away or more. Thanks ....!!!!

The BUZZZ is the powerhead. Possbly clean the powerhead and it should clear it up.

My Remora is basicly silent at 5ft. Of course I have a maxijet powerhead on it.

I dont like Rio's at all.

Yeah rio's are pretty junky.. I have a rio 1400 I was going to use on another DIY project, and now its just used for my curing ribbermaid bucket. Its makes noise even why suction cupped to a wall... kinda odd. I( would definately advocate getting a maxijet!

I second that

I have a big RIO for mixing saltwater and its always been a growling dumpster powerhead.

I normally use penguins for PH's which I like, but I just got three MaxiJet 1200's from captivereefs (one of them came with my new Remora skimmer) and they are lean, mean, and quiet, and the best PH I have purchased thus far.

And for the money (around $20) they are worth every penny..

Got to back you up on this one zippy.

My Remora is only 2 days old, and its running with a Maxijet 1200 (from captivereefs), and it is very loud as well. Not so much I cant ignore it, but its loud. It is the spray nozzle on mine making the noise, no other vibrations are present. Im hoping with time it quiets down.

I couldnt sit back and let zippy think he was all alone with this.

Yep they will quiet down. It will take about a month but once it slimes up it will queit down. Either that or you get used to it! :lol:

Zippy I got my Remora last week with the maxi jet. It is basically quiet with the exception of the water intake pipe that vibrates against the plastic backs of my glass covers. I solved this somewhat by insulating that part of the pipe with a heavy foam ( keeping it out of the water) and it seemed to help.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom