Noisy cooling fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltySteve

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anybody have a good solution for putting an end to my noisy cooling fans in my Coralife Aqualight hood?

From what I know about fans, not that much, noise is caused by the tip velocity of the blades. If you can slow them down the fan will run quieter. Ideally you would get a larger fan that spun slower for the queitest fan with the most air flow.

Thanks for the reply!
The noise of the fans beating the into submission like that of a helicopter is not the noise I'm experiencing! My noise is a grinding,vibrating shut the light off the sound is killing me kind of noise :)
Perhaps a more quality fan like the five in my computer case is needed.
A safe lubrication method may be an option as well.

Ok, didn't know that, if you can get it out check to see if the blades are turning smoothly, and "in round", by that I mean they are not wobbling, your noise could be just the fan blade being off a little and/or hitting the casing. HTH

That's cool, the fan seems to be true, think I'll be ok adding a drop of vegetable oil or something to it? Don't want to contaminate the tank or anything :oops:

Look at the blades, make sure there are no "chads" hanging off the end. Or spin it by hand and see if anything is rubbing or hitting. Veg. oil may work as a temp fix but they have sealed bearings so replacement is in order. :(

Back
Top Bottom