Nori

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ladykrup

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I keep reading about feeding the tangs nori. I bought some (green & brown!) and it just melted within an hour. Romaine seems to work much better but is it not as healthy? Is there some brand of nori that lasts longer and doesn't just break down in the tank in a short period of time? The tang wouldn't touch it, but goes wild for romaine. Thanks!

As a general rule, terrestrial plants are not good for marine fish. In addition, romaine lettuce is not very nutritious at all...it ranks barely ahead of iceberg so even though the tang goes nuts for it, it doesn't get much out of it. I think all nori is the same, but when I was feeding it to an angel it would be in there for a few hours rubber banded to a rock without breaking down. It would be very limp, but still removable. Are you using the dried sheets? All I can say is to keep feeding it in the same spot and manner you put the romaine and it should come around.

Whats the brand on the nori?

I fold up mine up a few times before I clip it to give it more structure.

I use the dry sheets of sushinori found in the grocery store (for my cowfish). I just use a clip and it holds up just fine...

I've tried various brands & types throughout the years. Anywhere from sushi grade to fish store bought brands & my guys seem to prefer the one from Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies. They also prefer the Green Seaweed over the brown or red.

I fold up mine up a few times before I clip it to give it more structure. fishfreek
said

i do the same fold a whole sheet like 4 times in half which makes it stay together alot longer my prob is the yellow tang loves to eat it right at the clip so then big pieces then break off ?!?!? why he wont eat from the outside in is beyond me ?!?! but it last alot longer that way :)

I use green marine algae (Natural Dried Seaweeds) There is no romaine in it. Each sheet is 6" x 7.4 long. I divide into two sheets, then I fold it up into four and place it in my clip in the aquarium. It normally last up to 12-hours in the tank. Here is the web site for the product I have www.oceannutrition.com Good Luck!

Happy Holiday :)

I use Seaweed Selects, Brown, Red & Green for my tangs. I hang 1/4 sheet of each on my clip and they pick at it all day. I also feed Formula I & II along with a meaty mixture and my kole loves spectrum pellets. I also feed live brine every night. I have never tried the lettuce, but make sure your tang gets a blend of foods and vitamins.

Kaye

Back
Top Bottom