normal for astrea snails to hang out at water line?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
my params are fine, but i always find at least 2 of my 3 astrea snails at the water line half the time. is it possible there isnt enough air in the water.

the temp is 76F
params: fine
penguin 330 as a power head

my clowns, shrimp, and nassarius snails all seem fine.

FWIW the astrea dont touch the algae anymore

Mine do that occasionally, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Mine also don't really touch the algae either....they are just lazy. Looking at the tank right now, two of them are sitting about an inch from the water line.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Absolutely normal. Sometimes I wake up in the moring and all mine are up top.

thanks guys, i suppose I should go with another algae eater then? Something my hermits wont try and rob of a shell

If you keep the umbers limited, and have extra shells your hermits should be ok. I only have had one that I have put in perminent time out in my sump.

hc8719 said:
thanks guys, i suppose I should go with another algae eater then? Something my hermits wont try and rob of a shell

It would also help to find out what is causing this algea and trying to eliminate it. Hope all goes well

algae's not a problem, it just grows on one side of a peice of LR. i can't effectively move the peice, or clean it, as it is a support to other peices, and is too close to the glass to clean manually.

For some reason my hermits won't touch the astrea snails unless they are flipped over on the sand. Dunno why, but they ate all the turbos and nassarius.

Back
Top Bottom