Not a pair anymore ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enjoyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two problems . 1st I bought a mated pair of tomato clowns . They have been in my tank for one and a half weeks . At first they were ok didn't go close to each other ? I thought maybe that was normal , But now the female is charging the male , :cry: and its getting hard for the male to feed . The female is biger and not as dark . I think its the female ? So i went back to the fish store and they would take one of the fish back with no refund 8O , Now i don't know what to do , leave them together and hope there ok , bring one back to the pet store , or bring my freshwater fish to them and start another saltwater . 2nd problem my saltwater and freshwater tank are next to another . The fw has been set up a lot longer that the sw . The fw tanks water is very clear and because they are so close it makes my sw tanks water look cloudy , i use the same type light on both . is that normal ?

I think this charging behavor is natural even for paired clowns.

Clowns can be some mean sons o' B$%#@s and I would say if they where not paired up and this was true agression the male would probably be dead by now. 8O

The cloudyness can be an apsect of a new tank. How old is the tank?

this is indeed normal behavior by a mated pair. dont worry the male will get enough food to live on. with clownfish the biggest on is the female 2nd biggest is male and all other smaller ones are a-sexual juviniles. once the female is pulled out of a tank the male will become female. however once a clown switches to female it cannot ever change sexes again. Joyce Wilkerson wrote a book on clownfish that is really good. It is called"Clownfishes" i believe.

Back
Top Bottom