Not cured live rock better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deepseadan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Over the last 15 years I've started a total of 5 reefs, 2 currently still running (after moves etc). Three of my tanks I used uncured live rock straight from the box and the other two, cured. The cured came from local fish store curing tanks. The uncured came pretty wet / moist in the box and straight into my tanks. The cured I placed in my tanks, pretty mild cycle period and became a normal reefs. The uncured got a mild soft brushings and saltwater cleanings. I turned the lights on immediately and went through a long couple month cycle period on all three tanks.

Comparison, in the short term the uncured rock was more work but way more creatures and life. Many different creatures, plants and corals kept appearing. Long term the uncured reefs seem to be more stable and healthy. I know maintenance is everything, but I did pretty similar maintenance in all my tanks. My verdict is, the uncured is more difficult in the beginning, but pays off in the end. Keep lights on for normal light periods and frequent water changes in the beginning. Last, the refugiums on the uncured tanks always have quite a bit more life in them as well.
Anyone else agree or am I crazy?

Sounds logical to me. I know alot of folks that cycle their tank with the dieoff from the uncured LR. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom