Not enough lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spchampion2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all i am currently running 2 65 watt coralife 50/50 bulbs on a coralife housing......i also have a moonlight that doesnt run very many watts probably somewhere around 50 watts now my question would be....is this enough lighting for corals if so what type of corals i was kinda hoping for medium lighted corals....i do have the option for using a florescent housing if need be what kind of lights can i use with it and how many watts is there a specific type of florescent blub i should be using or are they all pretty much the same? Thanks for any help! :D

65x2/100-1.3WPG (the moonlight LEDs don't count, and I really don't think they are 50W, but I could be incorrect). I'm not a reefer, but that seems very low.
I think you might want to shoot for at least 4WPG. Let's wait for a reefer to come along and give better advice. Mel has a lot of medium light corals, in his gallery. Click on it and see what you think, it is very impressive.

how about for medium lighted corals how many watts per gallon should i be running?

if i was you i would upgrade my lighting to at least 3-4 wts per gallon before i would by any corals. I don't think 1.3 wtpg is enough for any corals, but i could be wrong lets see what the other reefers say

I agree you`ll need at least 3 WPG which is what I have. Look at my gallery to see what type corals you can have. Hope all goes well.

Do not rely soley on the "watts/gal" method. It is a bit more complicated then that. Consider it a very loose guideline instead of a rule. In general, Most softies and LPS corals will do fine with 3-5watts/gal of CF, VHO or T5 lighting. I would shoot more for the 5 mark. If you have intensions of clams, SPS corals or high light anemones, greater penetrating light such as MH will be a better option. Bottom line...lighting is one of the most expensive parts of a reef tank. Decide what you want to keep and build your lighting sytem around the animals.

Back
Top Bottom