Not happy with my rock collection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well after moving the rocks I have (they are big and bulky), I am not sastified with my display. What kind of rocks can I use in my sw tank? I was wanting to get some kind of "flat" rock and build a ledge of sorts with all kinds of places for my fish to swim into and around. Is there any thing I need to look for when scoping out some rocks? TIA :?

I was wanting to get some kind of "flat" rock and build a ledge of sorts with all kinds of places for my fish to swim into and around. Is there any thing I need to look for when scoping out some rocks

Try to find some "Tonga shelf" rock.

its flat and about 2 inches thick at my landscaping and its perfect for making shelves

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I'm considering building some shelves with pvc pipe, but wasn't for sure how it would look when done (be kind of hard to cover up). I don't think it would be as bad with clear pipe, but pvc might not look right. Anyone ever done anything like this?

Slate would work i would think ive got a peice but im scared to use it cuz it was in my african cichlid tank when i treated with copper :?

possum said:
Slate would work i would think ive got a peice but im scared to use it cuz it was in my african cichlid tank when i treated with copper :?

Try putting it in a bucket of water for a while then testing the water for copper. I know copper is supposed to leach into everything but I treated my display tank with copper months ago before I knew any better. I used like 10 poly pads to remove the copper and still used the same rocks/cc and ornaments for a while without any problems with my snails or crabs dieing. That's not to say it didn't affect them at all or wouldn't affect corals.....maybe I was just lucky :?:

well i did move it into a dicus tank for a long time and it had a handful of snails in it that are still alive as far as i know so maybe itll work.

Back
Top Bottom